No oil to rockers model 8

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
irsooty2

No oil to rockers model 8

Post by irsooty2 »

Hi all, I'm a newby trying to bring my model 8 kicking and screaming back to life!
I have no oil reaching the rockers ( I know this has been brought up before ) I have tried blowing air thru the oil way's but nothing! How do I get to the oil pump? The hand book only says to remove it not where from? ( sorry if it's a silly question! )
It starts well apart from black smoke ( too rich? ), oil coming thru engine casing but none reaching rockers! I'm no mechanic so don't want to mess with anything before I know what to expect!
Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a silly question!

Iain
Janet

Re: No oil to rockers model 8

Post by Janet »

First you need to take out the gearbox because the oil pump plunger comes out from the rear of the crankcase where the gearbox butts up to it. There you will see a plug that has a large slot in it for unscrewing it. It has a rubber seal round it to prevent oil loss from there. There is only one moving part in the lightweight pump that goes round whilst moving backwards and forwards. After that I can't help you because I haven't broken that bit yet.
I do remember one bloke looking at another's bike because its oil wasn't circulating. His words of wisdom were, "Eeh lad, I can see thi problem. It's not shuttling." At the time I had no idea what he was talking about.

Before you start serious dismantling, check at the oil filter to make sure there isn't anything stopping the flow there.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

The bike may smoke after not being started for some time. this will take some time to clear. It will also take some time for oil to circulate. Have you referred to the bikes manual to check the oil flow to the rockers "adjuster screw ?"
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Thanks for the quick reply's!
I have adjusted the adjuster screw, screwing home and unscrewing slightly, I left the bike running 15 min's or so but no sign of oil up top!.
The bike was part restored 10 years ago and forgotten about so hasn't run since.
I believe new rings were fitted and a few other jobs but wonder if oil ways were blocked when new gaskets were fitted? Is there likely to be a problem with pump or should I rule all else out first?
Would the pump still move oil round bottom end if it was at fault?
Many thanks

Iain
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

I seem to remember in a previous post by Ozmadman that you can see the oil return to the reservoir when the filler cap is removed, although it's a bit out of sight in the casing, need a light of some sort to see. If I am wrong then I am sure some one will correct me quickly.
So if you can see a return, then the bottom end should be getting wet/lubricated, if no return, then it's a suspect pump. :headbang:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Janet

Post by Janet »

saltbox alf wrote:I seem to remember in a previous post by Ozmadman that you can see the oil return to the reservoir when the filler cap is removed, although it's a bit out of sight in the casing, need a light of some sort to see. If I am wrong then I am sure some one will correct me quickly.
You are correct. The oil returns via a hole a little more than an inch (25.4mm) down from the top.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

This is only my opinion..................If you don't have oil at the rockers then you need to investigate fully........
1. Is the pump travelling it's full stroke, if the pin has been put in wrong way it won't be, is the end plug fitted, are the end seals fitted, as Alf said open the oil filler cap and there is a hole in the crank case wall oil should be returning to the tank out of this hole, there may be enough flow for the bottom end but not for the top end.
2. Blockage, the oil ways could be full of gunge......................best thing to do is pull it all down and check everything, it is a lot of work but winter is on it's way ..................best time to it.
To get the oil pump out you will have to strip the drive side down, pull the gearbox out, strip the timing side down, take the oil tank off, undo the large plug that was hidden by the gearbox, remove the drive pin screw and the locating screw and hope the plunger will come out gearbox side.
While its down take the head off and cylinder check the oil ways, not sure but does the cylinder base gasket have only one oilway hole, maybe its on wrong way round, Paul will know.
Plenty of help on here...............just take time when you strip it down, take lots of photos and bag and label the bits.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Hi all,
Oil is returning thru hole in casing, flow seems pretty good down there!
Gulp! Sounds like I will have to do some pulling to bits!

Thanks to you all for your advice, at least I won't be alone if I get stuck.

Plan of action is follow cbranni's list,
Will try update with any findings!

On another note, I am a club member but posts have to be check first, is this normal?
Janet

Post by Janet »

It happens when Eamonn, The Webmaster doesn't know you're a member. Send him an e-mail to Webmaster@jampot.com to explain and he'll update your profile. Then you will be able to post without approval, read club members only parts of the website and send PMs to other members.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Colin's advice is solid and was the right course of action for me as when I ended up stripping my engine down there were bits missing inside!! BUT BEFORE you go mad and pull he engine apart get some very fine wire and poke it into those small holes behind the rocker arms where the oil is supposed to come out of. I had a similar problem and they were blocked and it didn't shift trying the blow air through them either. Also take off the rocker cover and make sure the gasket is on the correct way and not blocking the oil feed hole which runs all the way up the barrel and into the head.

My oil feed on video

Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed