No oil to rockers model 8

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
clive

Re: No oil to rockers model 8

Post by clive »

That's a great video for showing what the oil supply should look like.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

I had the same trouble with my one many years ago...the solution was to remove the oil pump guide pin and replace with a new one...quite a simple job....although I can't remember if the oil tank has to be removed to gain access?.... although this is simple and allows cleaning inside it, but new gasket required if it does have to be removed. You will see the guide pin has two flats worn on it which does not drive the pump spindle its full length...I can assure you that with a new pin the oil will be pumped to the rocker box....Les

PS...the guide pin carrier screw has a fine thread and is easy to cross thread it in the alloy when replacing.....just make sure to get it square and screw in as far as possible finger tight before fully tightening....Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Just to carry on from Les...1) yes you have to remove the oil tank casing...2) the pin is stepped make sure the THIN END goes into the bolt and the thicker end locates in the groove in the pump 3) As Les has said, you should be able to screw the bolt with the pin in it almost fully home before tightening it with a spanner, if not the pin is not locating the groove, don't force it. If it won't locate the groove put your finger in the oil pump hole at the back of the crankcase and twiddle it around a bit until you can locate the pin, can be a bit fiddly but get it wrong here and you will ruin the pin and the pump gear. 3) there is no gasket or washer on that bolt, just screw it in (once correctly located.

Here is a pic of what it looks like with the oil tank cover removed click on the link under the picture (you will still have the cam housing cover on yours though, see pic of engine with the oil tank and cam housing still attached) see other picture
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Les..................are you receiving my plea for help emails???

Maybe you just talking to the welsh :D

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
irsooty2

Post by irsooty2 »

Thank you for all your help and thanks for the photos Paul!
So I presume gearbox still needs to come out, does it need draining or can it come out as a unit? Can the points / auto advance stay in place when oil tank is removed?
Thanks again

Will have a go at the weekend!
Iain
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

irsooty2 wrote:Thank you for all your help and thanks for the photos Paul!
So I presume gearbox still needs to come out, does it need draining or can it come out as a unit? Can the points / auto advance stay in place when oil tank is removed?
Thanks again
Will have a go at the weekend!
Iain
Yes the box has to come out unfortunately as the big bolt thing that holds the pump in is at the rear of the crankcase( will post another pick when I get home later on a proper PC) Ypu don't need to drain the oil but when you remove the clutch cable which goes into the top of the box you will have a small hole so keep it upright, plus it will be heavier with the 3 pints of oil in it. The auto advance can remain as the oil tank cover can be removed without touching that part
Paul
1960 Model 8
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Good luck Iain, if in doubt.....................ask .......................but not when Wales are playing Australia to decide who tops the group :D
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

A couple more pictures as promised, the second one shows the slotted bolt which secures the oil pump and the bolt (the one at an angle) which holds the pin which is the subject of this thread
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

I can't see why the gearbox has to be removed?....All you have to do is remove the oil tank outer compartment.....just don't rotate the engine crankshaft.... As long as you screw the oil guide pin carrier screw out, replace the guide pin with a new one then screw it back in.... the pump position spindle will be in exactly the same place and alignment....Even if you did accidently/inadvertently rotate the crankshaft, alignment can be achieved again by turning the engine with plug removed and feeling with a thin screw driver when the guide slot has returned in line with the screw hole...in fact you can push the spindle back and forth with a thin screwdriver from the screw hole access.....This is not theory...this is what I did...Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes Les you are completely correct!!! there's me overthinking everything again and I suppose as I had my engine out anyway the easier option hadn't occurred to me. Cheers
Paul
1960 Model 8