Gearbox help

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Gearbox help

Post by Ozmadman »

Julian_S wrote:Sadly all Imperial bearings now cost the earth, especially the larger sizes. I rebuilt a series Landrover gearbox a bit ago and I had a long hard think and reused the ball races in the transfer casing as they were about 50 squids each. Metric would have been a tenner :-(
Strangely enough it is metric bearing 55 mm o/d 15mm width and 32 mm i/d weird for a 1960 bike especially as none of these measurements match up to an exact imperial size. it's expensive cos it's odd I think

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Julian_S

Post by Julian_S »

Hmmm. that's 2-5/32" 9/16 " & 1-1/4 to allow for clearance and an interference fit? Certainly odd but I'm not convinced it's metric - that makes no sense to me....

Julian
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Julian_S wrote:Hmmm. that's 2-5/32" 9/16 " & 1-1/4 to allow for clearance and an interference fit? Certainly odd but I'm not convinced it's metric - that makes no sense to me....Julian
nor me either and actually I got it wrong, it's 52 mm not 55 so that makes it 2-3/64" . even the correct bearing part number 041266, which I have, measures the same??? BTW Not to take anything away form the club, they have these in stock (041266)and I have looked at the picture and it is the same as the "old bearing" picture above, still expensive at £68 though..BUT AT LEAST THEY STOCK THEM!!

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

New bearing in, froze the bearing for 24 hrs in the freezer and cooked the casing for 15 minutes in the oven and the bearing dropped in nicely.. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I must say I'm never convinced about the freezer idea (although have dutifully used it). Freezer temperature is about -20C - if ambient is around 20 then you're only 40 degrees cooler. That would have the same effect as heating the alloy up to 60, ie not that much (plus of course the coefficient of expansion of the bearing will be less than the alloy).

The other problem is of course that my chips taste of gearbox oil.....
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

iansoady wrote:I must say I'm never convinced about the freezer idea (although have dutifully used it). Freezer temperature is about -20C - if ambient is around 20 then you're only 40 degrees cooler. That would have the same effect as heating the alloy up to 60, ie not that much (plus of course the coefficient of expansion of the bearing will be less than the alloy).The other problem is of course that my chips taste of gearbox oil.....
Well it worked, so much so that the bearing did literally drop in, when the bearing heated up and the case cooled down it is now a tight fit or are you saying that when the case heats up the bearing will become loose again?? It certainly never went in all at room temperature and would have required a bit of tapping..

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

No, I just don't think it's much of an advantage over being at room temperature. When you say "never went in all at room temperature" is that both components (which is what I would expect) or the bearing (with the case heated up)? If the latter, then I am clearly wrong in my view and am happy to accept correction.

Chips still taste funny though.
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

No you are right Ian, case in the oven gas mark 6 for 20 mins and a room temperature bearing will just fall in.
don't forget to baste the case with castrol ahhh bisrto and season to taste. :lol:

The chips do have a tang to them!!
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

iansoady wrote:No, I just don't think it's much of an advantage over being at room temperature. When you say "never went in all at room temperature" is that both components (which is what I would expect) or the bearing (with the case heated up)? If the latter, then I am clearly wrong in my view and am happy to accept correction.
Yes, both components at room temperature, I didn't try the bearing at room temp with a heated casing so I don't know.

Paul
Paul
1960 Model 8
iansoady

Post by iansoady »

I think the idea of freezing components is a recent one (probably because in the 50s and 60s no-one had a freezer but everyone had an oven!)

As Alf says, mark 6 gas or 400F (200C (180 in a fan oven!))
Ian
1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650