Front Wheel Removal

Information relating to the Matchless G5 or AJS Model 8 350cc Lightweight
timeveritt

Front Wheel Removal

Post by timeveritt »

I know this is going to sound very silly to anyone who's done it - but what's the best way of lifting the front forks/wheel off the ground sufficiently to remove the wheel? It's a 350 Lightweight.

Tim.
dave16mct

Re: Front Wheel Removal

Post by dave16mct »

No, not silly at all. It's something we all have to do. I use a scissor jack under the front of the engine on a bit of wood. Use a small pad on top of the jack to stop it slipping and protect the frame. Obviously be very careful. Best to tie a rope from the handlebars to a beam to make sure it doesn't end up on top of you!
Dave
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

Whilst Dave's advice is spot on and what I would do, (because I have all the equipment), I have a suspicion that once the front wheel is released the bike will rock back onto the rear wheel naturally, so maybe just place a block under the front of the engine to stop it falling forward if you forget and lean on the handlebars etc..

Edit - This may be misleading, last time I did this the fuel tank was off - sorry.

Regards Mick
Janet

Post by Janet »

It depends where I am. At home, I put my bike on its centre stand on a paving slab or wooden blocks so it has more 'rock'. Then I either load up the back rack to weight the rear end down or I get an axle stand from the woman cave and put it under the front frame so, if it does tip forward it doesn't go far. Don't forget to remove the brake cable before taking out the wheel. You'll find it much easier.

If I'm not going anywhere and the wheel is only out for a short while, I hang the back wheel over the ramp that goes down from my garage, this not needing the slab under the stand. Roadside wheel removal needs a kerb for this purpose.

I'm guessing you haven't needed to take out the back wheel yet? Now that is a joy to do. :twisted:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I would do the same as Janet. Have something handy to hole the back down or prop up the front. If on the road, park on the pavement, about 12" from the kerb. With the bike on the stand spin it round so the front wheel hangs over the kerb. If a mate wont help, get him to sit on the bike and hold the back down, he may then get fed up and offer to help.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

The kerb, no special tools required
timeveritt

Post by timeveritt »

Thanks all, but, ahem, I forgot to mention that the back wheel is already off (definitely a two person job - tried doing it on my own and am just recovering from a seriously bad back some two weeks later). I think I'll try weighting down the back - perhaps, on balance, I won't ask my dearly beloved to sit at one end of the seesaw....

Thanks again
Tim.
Janet

Post by Janet »

timeveritt wrote:Thanks all, but, ahem, I forgot to mention that the back wheel is already off (definitely a two person job - tried doing it on my own and am just recovering from a seriously bad back some two weeks later).
I do it on my own. Well, me and a lot of blocks to stand it on.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

The rear wheel can be done reasonably easily by one person, the manual explains how but basically you can get it out by leaning the bike over to the left and taking it out from the RH side. Think I have that round the right way. Long time since I have done it.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

The QD rear wheel has sometimes foxed (steady) me.

Getting the pins into the back of the brake plate was a trial BUT now I put the spindle through without the spacer, wiggle the pins in, withdraw spindle to point where I can slide the spacer in without the pins coming out of the back of the brake and there you go.

Of course, the relevance of this to me is lost in the mists of time, the 1966 14CSR was such a long time ago.

Johnny B