CSR Battery

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
OldChuffer

CSR Battery

Post by OldChuffer »

Can anyone tell me what battery i need for my 1964 CSR - it doesnt have one now and the wirings a mess but i can sort that. The bulbs are 12v so i assume its a 12v machine. The manual shows that 2 x 6v batteries are joined in series, is that right? or just the vagaries of the old manual?
Rob Harknett

Re: CSR Battery

Post by Rob Harknett »

I've always managed to get a 12v lead acid type from my local bike shop. Something intended for a modern bike, Fitting was not a problem as its out of sight. Bungee strap can usually be used. There's probably also a sealed dry type that would do the job.
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

Hi Steve,

Before spending any money check what the voltage is, the bulbs maybe 12v but what is the alternator and what type of voltage control and rectifier. If the wiring is a mess who knows what lurks beneath, lightweights were 6v 3 wire alternator going through a rectifier and had a resistance wire going to the switchgear, there are plenty of lightweight electrical posts on here covering everything, just do a search.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

Thanks for the info. The loom has been chopped at both ends but i'm guessing there may be a resistance wire in there somewhere, i'll have to have a look. There are three wires coming out of the alternator. Resistance wires are a new concept to me (having only restored Jap bikes before) are you saying it wouldnt have a resistance wire if it had been converted to 12v? Were any of the CSR's 12v from the factory? I cant see any markings on the alternator or rectifier.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ser ... Models.pdf
This may help a bit, in addition to info you should in your bike instruction book and workshop manual.
http://www.jampot.com/article_read.asp?id=395
And this.
6V - 12 V Lightweight_6_12.pdf
And this
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

Thanks Rob, very useful info.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Stevep2810 wrote:Thanks Rob, very useful info.
That's to those that made it available. I'm only quite good at knowing where to find it, or who to ask who does know..