Model 14

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
OldChuffer

Model 14

Post by OldChuffer »

Hi all - after many years of restoring Japanese bikes i have taken the plunge and restoring a 1964 Model 14 CSR. I will no doubt have loads of questions, some may be obvious but i hope you will bear with me. So here goes...
I've taken off the LHS crankcase cover and noticed there was no gasket, i assume there is supposed to be one, the parts book seems to indicated a "normal" type gasket but i've seen rubber ones , which is right?
clanger9

Re: Model 14

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Steve, welcome to the joys of Lightweight ownership! You should find plenty of help on this forum.

In theory you can fit a paper gasket, but they don't fit or work very well. Wellseal is the best solution, as it seals the leaks and makes maintenance easier.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
OldChuffer

Post by OldChuffer »

Thanks clanger9, i will take that advice. I think i will have more questions as some of the bike has been bodged in the past, especially the wiring but i'm looking forward to that in a weird sort of way. Engine looks ok so far. Thanks again
clive

Post by clive »

Hi Steve, your profile does not show you as a member at present and so your first few posts have to be moderated and so will not appear straight away. On checking the membership list I see you have recently joined. It may be your log in will link up directly with your membership automatically but I suspect you will have to email Eamonn, at webmaster@jampot.com to get it sorted out. However I believe Eamonn is away for a few days so leave it for a bit. Once sorted you will have full access to the website and will see your posts straight away. Welcome to the club.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix