Swinging Arm Spindle

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martin.S

Re: Swinging Arm Spindle

Post by Martin.S »

Hello All, I've been searching in vain to find someone locally who could case harden a spindle for me without success.
I've brushed a file across the spindle I'd taken out (not standard) and it wasn't hardened - would anyone be able to tell me if the standard spindle was indeed hardened?
Cheers
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

The original I have is unhardened, just made out of good stuff I would imagine.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Brilliant - Thank You Colin - that makes that so much easier!
Andy51

Post by Andy51 »

Not strictly relevant to G2, but the hollow original spindle on my '54 G80 wasn't hardened; I reused it as a mandrel and skimmed it in the lathe, no problems. Andy
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

I've turned one up today and milled the flat using some EN16T that I have, I'm thinking that any hardening due to the weld will be well supported in the swinging arm casting.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Had the spindle ground (looked more like a turned finish so I had to polish it in the lathe with wet'N'dry!).
Now I have three loose wheel spindles so I cleaned them up and chose the best one, I put the S/A spindle into the forks arms and fitted up the rear wheel spindle for size. The problem was the swinging arm was too narrow! Put it in the vice - a bit of tugging here - pushing there but I just couldn't get it wide enough and keep the arms at right angles to the spindle.
I then though a bit more about it and fished out the other spindles :-
Rear Axles.jpg
As you can see there was a rouge spindle among the three and I just happened to choose that one!!!
Back to the vice and a bit pushing here - pulling there and back to as it should be. Welded the spindle in, bushes reamed to size and painted - another step closer.
Cheers all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.