handlebar levers advice please

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Richard Hyatt

handlebar levers advice please

Post by Richard Hyatt »

Hi all,
we have had to replace the bars on the G2 as the originals were completely mechanically shot.
as such now - we have "normal" bars with centre clamps etc but I now ask if anyone has a source of clamp-on levers to accept the original clutch and front brake cables(with the tiny little ferrule on the lever end that went through the original welded lug).
if not , then I can make up something to convert the tiny end to a standard end - but I thought I'd ask first please.
thank you
Rob Harknett

Re: handlebar levers advice please

Post by Rob Harknett »

Surely the little ferrule fit's into a barrel nipple. ( Do not like these cables much, prefer those with cable wire in barrel nipple only ) To continue, first you fit the small ferrule on the wire into the loose barrel nipple when this is fitted in the lever, swing the wire down through the lever slit, the slit in the lug. Needless to say, you would have already fitted the other end and screwed fully in, any cable adjusters. Now the cable is in the lever and through the lug. You now need to adjust the cable freeplay.
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

oh - the little tiny nipple on the lever end of the cable fitted into the tiny holes of the welded lug hitherto.

other bikes I've had - the lever fixed part had a larger slot for the adjuster(1/4 or 5/16) to fit into and this adjuster in turn took a normal 3/16 chrome cable end into it

but the G2 welded lugs only had a tiny hole for this nipple (along with a slot for the cable of course)

I cant take any pics , as the welded lugs are all damaged - hence the modification needed
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Split barrel nipple.jpg
:?: :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

Thank you , yes I know these things for the inner cable, but the question is all about the outer cable and it's chrome ferrule on their end.
The standard g2 outer has a stepped ferrule that pops into a small hole in the welded lug of the bars.
This step locates it

But if you change the bars to normal bars and levers , then you need to source levers that will accept these tiny ends or change these tiny ends to normal ends for normal levers and adjusters.

It's the clamp on levers I'm needing guidance on please
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

You'll find it easier to go the conventional route and change the cables to match the new levers and bars.
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

It certainly looks this way for sure , save a lot of messing about .
Thank you all for the thoughts
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Richard Hyatt wrote:Thank you , yes I know these things for the inner cable, but the question is all about the outer cable and it's chrome ferrule on their end
Gotcha. Unless you can do a trial fit before buying it's a bit of a guess.
As ajscomboman said, best to get the h/bar levers and new cables from a regular supplier: Club spares or AMC Classic spares then you'll know they match each other.
Richard Hyatt wrote: It's the clamp on levers I'm needing guidance on please
You need h/bar levers having a 7/8" distance 'twixt lever pivot bolt and nipple centre. Any greater and they'll be really heavy to operate unless you have the grip of a Scotsman on a five pound note. Be aware that if you buy h/bar levers with an integral adjuster it's possible that the standard cables may not fit.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Richard Hyatt

Post by Richard Hyatt »

Many thanks to you all
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Use a stepped twist grip ferule, or, easy enough to make one. Find an old cable adjuster. Cut the threaded part leaving enough to go in the lever lug. The cut a slot with hacksaw to slip over the cable wire. I have also made these to add to an adjuster, to take up any slack in a cable. Heres a couple of my lightweights, I have none with welded lugs. Note one twist grip has correct stepped ferule, the other a home made one from an adjuster. Some one else put it on before I brought the bike, knew that old bodge.
SDC15175.jpg
SDC15174.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.