Is my clutch adjusted correctly?.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
itma

Post by itma »

Only experiment will tell, would`nt think it would make that much difference under the kickstarting effort .
springs Ok?
Can`t remember too much about these as its 30 years since I was last blessed with one but thought they all had duplex chain.
Clutches did`nt give problems as I recall. Long time ago though.

Edited by - itma on 04 Aug 2006 6:05:05 PM
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

No, only the CSR was duplex....

Cheers
Mick
itma

Post by itma »

thought occured to me that maybe that if your clutch is a mixture maybe the spring cups are too long?
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Yes I thought of that too. I measured the cups against a known set and also the springs as well as the clutch basket

Everything is as it should be except for the missing clutch plates. I have a spare plate but I need to get the thicker inner (plain) plate which also has some kind of bevel according to the various manuals I have.

I think this is where I am going to have a problem as I have not seen it listed in the spares catalogue.

Anyone know of a likely supplier?.

Cheers
Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

sorry Mick i hit the wrong button. Ther are 2 types of thick plate for the clutch, the bevelled plate is a single sided plate that i thought was for the 14s and 2s models the other plate which has a recess and is also single sided was fitted to the 350s and CSRs. Both of these plates seem to be like gold dust and i know of no other source except trawling the autojumbles. I have the bevelled plate in my 350 and it seems to work ok.
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Yes the 350 plate is the one that is needed for my Model 14 CSR becuase it uses the same clutch as the 350 lightweight.

I have a bevelled outer plate for the standard model 14. If I have read what you are saying correctly it seems that you are suggesting I could use this as an inner plate for the CSR clutch assembly.....

Cheers
Mick
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Yes that is what i have done as i was unable to find the correct recessed plate. The plate is about 6mm thick and as the clutch basket is a pressing with the chain wheel riveted on the thick plate acts as the main pressure plate
good-hifi

Post by good-hifi »

Thanks, for that.

I'll give it a try when I've fixed the cylinder stud that is loose on account of the fact that the 'restorer' stripped the threads in the crankcase and sold it to me like that claiming MINT condition.

Cheers
Mick
chris kelly

Post by chris kelly »

Hi Mick, Your clutch plates seem to be available from Andrew Engineering. I looked at their Web Site and by using the Spares books up to and including 1962 you can work out for your 1963 model. Actually, I think they would know as they are Club enthusiasts. The spares numbers match up. Andrew Engineering do not list under the lightweight section...look under the bigger singles. Chris.
'My cat can beat up your cat!'