G2 frame and pillion footrest supports

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: G2 frame and pillion footrest supports

Post by Rob Harknett »

58 G2 Right Hand.JPG
58 G2 Cant get to anymore lightweights as they go under a full shed length work top. Which makes another floor in the shed to pile up bikes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bernie.Jones

Post by Bernie.Jones »

Thanks Rob - yes it does - and it tells me I'm missing two brackets not one!

I thought the RHS used the same arm as the muffler support but now I see it's a mirror of that on the left.
I've sourced a LH one so will see if I can now find the other.

Looking at the assembly with the square spindle - my brake pedal is bushed such that the spindle is a tight fit (across the corners) so no room for any additional bush with a square inner and round outer - which I'd thought I'd need. I'm wondering if maybe I need to remove the bush that's in there and look for another part that does this?

Cheers,
Bernie
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have shown one of the first types 1958 & a pair from 1966. Yours may in fact differ. If you find one side, take it with you if searching for the other side. They are difficult to recognise left & right until you actually match up a pair side by side. I must have had 5 or more, had a job match just one pair I wanted. Next time I visited a jumble there was a pair unused, tied up with a ticket. They were cheap so had to buy them and see them go to someone looking for a pair. I am sure I still have, on my bikes, an arm with a threaded part that has nothing bolted in it.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Rob Harknett wrote:I have shown one of the first types 1958 & a pair from 1966. Yours may in fact differ. If you find one side, take it with you if searching for the other side. They are difficult to recognise left & right until you actually match up a pair side by side. I must have had 5 or more, had a job match just one pair I wanted. Next time I visited a jumble there was a pair unused, tied up with a ticket. They were cheap so had to buy them and see them go to someone looking for a pair. I am sure I still have, on my bikes, an arm with a threaded part that has nothing bolted in it.
Rob, I can't remember if both pillion rests had a tapped hole or only one, and the other a welded tube. I think the off side had the tapped hole and the nearside the tube. I'm led to believe they were the mounting points for the optional factory pannier frames.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

ajscomboman wrote:
Rob Harknett wrote:I have shown one of the first types 1958 & a pair from 1966. Yours may in fact differ. If you find one side, take it with you if searching for the other side. They are difficult to recognise left & right until you actually match up a pair side by side. I must have had 5 or more, had a job match just one pair I wanted. Next time I visited a jumble there was a pair unused, tied up with a ticket. They were cheap so had to buy them and see them go to someone looking for a pair. I am sure I still have, on my bikes, an arm with a threaded part that has nothing bolted in it.
Rob, I can't remember if both pillion rests had a tapped hole or only one, and the other a welded tube. I think the off side had the tapped hole and the nearside the tube. I'm led to believe they were the mounting points for the optional factory pannier frames.
I just went out and had a look Rob. My 58 G2 and 66 G2CSR are unrestored. I believe with all correct parts. The 66 only had 2291 miles on the clock before it was laid up. The owner got fed with it in his garage and almost gave it to me. Seeing I had hitched a bike trailer to my car when I went to view it, he just wanted rid of it. Anyway the 66 does have both rests with the tapped hole facing the rear, with nothing fitted. So could well be pannier frame fitting points. The rests are a pair, and can be paired like pairing a pair of shoes. The left hand side rest has an additional fitting point, onto which I have a stoplight switch fitted. I could see only the right hand side footrest on the 58 G2 this looks identical to the rest on the 66 G2CSR. My perhaps my faulty memory of there being two types is wrong. My just seeing one with the brake light fitting and one without that fitting, when I was trying to match a pair from 5 rests. I must have had 4 of one hand and just one of the other hand. However, not being able to see the left hand rest on my 58 G2, I cannot be sure its the same as on my 66. Or the 350 differed from the 250.