Electrics

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Samp

Electrics

Post by Samp »

Can anyone help me i would like to if possible do away with as much of the electrics as possible my bikes been converted to 12v but i would like to do away with lights battery horn the lot to end up with the neatest smallest amount of hidden electrics as possible for my scrambler build
cbranni

Re: Electrics

Post by cbranni »

Rip it all out and run the two wires from the alternator to a Boyer Power box (yellow input wires), the two out put wires, the red goes to earth and black runs to the coil through a simple switch. The power box has a capacitor which will supply power to the coil when the engine is not running so you can start it. You may have to flash the power box with 12v when first fitted, I used the PBOX00108 SINGLE PHASE 12V, you must fit a red reflector to rearmost part of the bike to comply with the law even if you have no lights and an audible warning device such as a bulb horn would be needed.

Kind regards Colin

http://www.boyerbransden.com/power_boxes.html
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... t&start=20

Theres a photo halfway down the page show the power box under the seat.
only dead fish go with the flow
Samp

Post by Samp »

Thats a perfect responce cheers just what i was looking for. I knew there was a way around it just didnt know exactly how. That bike in your link is very similar to what im looking at doing
clive

Post by clive »

Samp wrote:Can anyone help me i would like to if possible do away with as much of the electrics as possible my bikes been converted to 12v but i would like to do away with lights battery horn the lot to end up with the neatest smallest amount of hidden electrics as possible for my scrambler build
keep what you take off, you may want to put it back on the road some time.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Samp

Post by Samp »

I will be keeping it all and it will still be on the road just in daylight hours
Samp

Post by Samp »

Got one problem theres not two wires from alternator theres three yellow orange and green and a yellow from other side caseing
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It's a two-phase alternator. You probably want the orange and light green wires to one side and the white to the other.
This may help: http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Ele ... _Wipac.pdf
Last edited by clanger9 on Tue Nov 27, 2018 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I put a 12 volt 2 wire alternator in place of the original 6 volt 3 wire alternator, I don't know if the Boyer will work with your set up, I think you need to check voltage output at tick over speed.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It should be fine.

I have a 12V electronic reg & 4Ah battery on a standard 6V (2ph) alternator. Amazingly, it easily powers a 60/55W headlamp, so Sam should have no difficulty with his scrambler setup.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Samp

Post by Samp »

Any idea on a fix for my wirering with the 3 wires can i just swap out the alternator for a two wire one. Or get arpind it with a box and my alternator. all the electrics are in a box now stripped the lot off last night