Kickstart

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Peter Morris

Kickstart

Post by Peter Morris »

Kickstart, may get someone out of trouble..... Hen's teeth I believe.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AJS-MODEL14- ... SwW0Vb5a4H
cbranni

Re: Kickstart

Post by cbranni »

Just be aware that there is very little off set in the crank so the lever may not pass the silencer, RGM have Norton lightweight kickstart levers in stock now but I don't know if they will fit AMC lightweights.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi I have one of these on my trail G5. It does fit well but is about 1.5 inches shorter than the correct part, and as Colin rightly says doesn't have the off set.

My Trail bike has a high level exhaust so no issues with fouling.

My standard G5 is out on loan to a fellow club member - when I get it back i will check to see what the fits like.

The part listed is a good quality item which i think is actually originally fitted to Ariel Arrow's.

Cheers

Steve
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Here's a picture of mine
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

It's quite possibly an Ariel Arrow/Leader kickstart.
They use the same spline but are about 30mm shorter and straighter than a lightweight.
You can pack out the silencer mounting with washers or a spacer to stop the kickstart catching the silencer.
The slightly shorter lever makes your compression feel good :roll: :rofl:
AdieB

Post by AdieB »

I bought one of these for my 14. They have the correct spline, but have only a small offset. It does foul the exhaust pipe on a good swing, so I intend to get the kickstart bent to cure this. The one in the picture shows more offset than the one I purchased though. I would still love to find an original one though, but it does appear they are indeed like hen's teeth.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

As they're so difficult to find and the demand is clearly there, why don't one of you owners with one see if they can find a foundry that would be willing to produce a batch and approach the club to fund the project? Surely this must now become the way to work and continue the original ethos of the spares scheme.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

The Norton owners club do a kick start for their lightweights (£87.50) but the part number is different than ours and so does the kick start shaft but they do look the same - might be worth investigating.
042941[1].jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Were the kick starts the same length through out the lightweights production life (something in the back of my head says not - but I'm easily confused)
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Let's have a poll!
Mine measures at 200mm from base to under the peg, offset is only about 5mm. Given the nature of my bike, it's unlikely to be the original one...
IMG_3393.jpg
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS