Tank badges

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Woodland

Tank badges

Post by Woodland »

Hi all,
I have just purchased a new Matchless Monogram badge for my 1961 G2, part number 042812 from the AMOC Parts service (old one was missing), the problem I have is that the new badge is not the correct shade of colour.
I offered it up against the old tank badges and colour scheme which I know is correct and it does not match.
So beware if you order one of these!

Does anybody know where I can source a old stock one?
Janet

Re: Tank badges

Post by Janet »

After you've put a lot of effort into attempting to restore your bike to its factory condition, this must be very disappointing. Unfortunately, its highly likely that any new coloured part is a different hue from the original because there probably isn't an original 'recipe' available for a manufacturer to follow. This leaves them trying to find a best match and sometimes they fail. I don't have this problem because my G2 is a CSR so never had this badge. What I do know is that any colour on it is not the same as when it was new, because of weathering over 50-odd years of use and abuse, by me and previous owners.

While your quest continues, think positively. It may not be perfect but it isn't critical to the running of your bike.
Mick D

Re: Tank badges

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I feel your pain, like you I have one original badge, but in reality you have to accept that the original badge will have 'weathered' over it's 57 year life, I'd be very surprised if a new old stock one, (if available), would match. If you want to assure a match I think you'll need to buy a pair.

Edited to add:

Ooops It's not a tank badge your after is it :oops:

I had a similar experience, my monogram badge is a little scruffy so I bought a replacement, which turned out to be an enamel job, unlike the original which is a pressing filled with red paint, (several shades darker than the enamel) - I've kept the original in place.

Regards Mick