Snapped fuel tap

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
aseleven

Snapped fuel tap

Post by aseleven »

Hi everyone, while fitting a new fuel tap today I may of been overzealous and tightened it a tad too much snapping it off 😔 I've tried using a screwdriver to get the remnants out, but it's not really working, any suggestions is it a machine job or can I drill it out?

Many thanks in advance

Lee
aseleven

Re: Snapped fuel tap

Post by aseleven »

The broken fuel tank remnants
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bitza

Post by bitza »

I might suggest now you have drilled it out, go to your local engineering tool suppliers for a tap and retap the thread,job done.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Is it not possible to remove it using one of those LH thread type stud removal tools. That may save messing up the thread. It does not even need to be drilled first to screw in the tool. As you screw the tool in it should start to unscrew the broken bit of the tap.
G15 Roy

Post by G15 Roy »

You should be able to remove this easy unless you have used to much force that caused it to snap.
Roy
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

A bit of patience and job will be a goodun, dont try and rush. Should pick out in one long spiral
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

It may be easier to screw it all of the way into the tank and then remove with a magnet.

Regards Mick
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Hopefully the tap is made of brass so no good using a magnet there!
Easy out.jpg
These are Easy Outs - as mentioned are like a L/H threading tap. You insert these like you were going to cut a thread but you turn it anti clockwise whilst pushing the easy out into the hoe with a little pressure, when it bites into the piece of the brass tap it will unscrew it.
They are cheap as chips to buy. Be careful not to contact the steel thread on the tank or it might graunch it up and do not use too much force to turn it because it is a right pain to remove a broken one - they are hardened and therefore brittle - if you feel it flexing then STOP!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Expat

Post by Expat »

bitza wrote:I might suggest now you have drilled it out, go to your local engineering tool suppliers for a tap and retap the thread,job done.

Agree with bitza. Try picking out some of the embedded old material, which will be soft, then carefully run a taper tap through.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
bitza

Post by bitza »

In my experience of using easy outs great care is called they will snap of in the blink of an eye if to much muscle is used, and I would think if the broken fuel tap is brass might the easy out cause the brass the spread when trying to remove broken part especially if it had been over tightened before it snapped off.