Newbie - Starting Issue

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dada

Newbie - Starting Issue

Post by dada »

Hi,

My family owned a bike AJS 250cc 1960 which was bought from UK around 10years but left stored in garage in Malta before It was also unused in UK for about 20 years. Now I am taking over and starting this project to restore this beauty.

This is my first bike.

I am also doubtful if I do a respray or keep original paint. Any recommendations

I have put in a 6v battery tried horn worked, put in some fuel and tried starting up but no luck.

All your help is appriciate as on bikes lack knowledge not like cars
ChrisTheChippy

Re: Newbie - Starting Issue

Post by ChrisTheChippy »

Hi before you try to start this bike make sure you check the oil ! After such a long time in storage the bike will need a complete overhaul before going back on the road . It's very likely that the carburettor is blocked up with fuel residue .
Take it one step at a time . First establish you have a spark at the plug.
Next make sure the fuel is getting through .
My best advice would be to buy a maintenance book and parts list, you will need parts numbers to order anything you might need.
Hope this is some help to start you off.
Regards Chris
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

These bikes are about as basic as you can get!! as mentioned, change the engine and gearbox oil. I use SAE50 low detergent oil (same oil engine and gearbox) for classic bikes as the filtration is ultra basic so don't use modern oil as the detergent in them will clean the engine and all the bits will be floating around in the oil and will probably bypass the oil filter. The oil filter is behind that large chrome cap at the front on the engine on the LH side, just wash it out and put it back. To drain the engine there are two drain plugs underneath, the front one drains the internal oil tank ("dry" sump system) and the rear one will drain any oil settling in the sump, you will need to drain both but not a lot will come out of the rear most one. There is also oil in the LH engine casing (use a slightly thinner one here say SAE40) this lubricates the primary chain and clutch. Fill up the engine (oil cap on the RH side at the front of the engine ) until it is level with the return hole you can see when looking into the engine. Once you get it running the level will drop a bit so as long it remains just under that hole it will be fine, top it up if you need to. The gearbox takes 3 pints and is filled by removing that oval plate on the gearbox. Make sure you fill it right up until it is virtually running out of the opening as low oil level on these can wear out the box rapidly. The primary case oil for the chain is filled via (I use the upper hole) and you can check the level through the lower hole, fill it so the lower run of the chain Just runs in the oil. May be worth checking the timing it is set at 1/4" BTDC on the compression stroke (both valves closed) (check this behind the long oval plate at the RH top of the engine) and points just about to open (use a light or multi-meter for accuracy) the points are behind the oval plate on the RH side of the engine. If the timing is correct, you have a spark and fuel is getting to the engine then it should fire up... Good luck PS keep an eye on the oil levels... remember it is an old brit bike and will probably leak a bit here and there
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
schrottschlecker

Post by schrottschlecker »

dada wrote:
I am also doubtful if I do a respray or keep original paint. Any recommendations

Hello,

please post a picture of the bike so people can judge condition of bike and paint. Generally nowadays, original appearance and patina is more appreciated than respray. In the previous years, many old cars and bikes have been restored to a questionable "perfection", using extra glossy paint and polished stainless steel fasteners to achieve a "better-than-new" condition. In my opinion, most of them lost their unique character. Especially family-owned bike tell a story, even modifications or customizing might be of interest. In the end, it's your bike and should make you happy.

So my recommentation would be to preserve the original appearance.

Photo please! :-)

Regards,

Christian
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

He wont be able to post a photo as he is not a member. Maybe a link to a youtube clip would do it
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dada

Post by dada »

Hi, Thanks all for your help really appreciate as I am afraid to ruin it by doing something wrong will change oil as suggested above and make some video on youtube will post link by end of week as I am stuck with work at the moment.

Hope I get it started.

Regards
Darren
dada

Post by dada »

Can you also suggest liquids to use to clean up well in the bike everywhere and any areas to avoid. Thanks
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

dada wrote:Can you also suggest liquids to use to clean up well in the bike everywhere and any areas to avoid. Thanks
Gunk with a paint brush gets the oil and grime off. Don't use any sort of pressure spray. Don't soak the electrics - e.g. switches, HT coil and lead.............but you'll know all that anyway. (I have to admit to using a petrol/diesel mix for cleaning as I have about 3 gallons drained from when I put petrol in my diesel car :cry: )
As an aside, if you make any adjustments; especially the carb (the jets/filters will probably be blocked/gummed up) make a note of their positions before fiddling with them. If you take anything apart take lots of photos......
Oh, and join the Club as your time as a Guest is limited.

P.S.
There is a contact in Malta shown on the Main Jampot website:
Scroll down to bottom of this page.............

http://www.jampot.com/Sections.asp
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'