Stainless

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Jefftaff

Stainless

Post by Jefftaff »

Looking to replace my nuts for stainless any idea what thread was used apparently not whitworth as I thought !!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Re: Stainless

Post by Rob Harknett »

Most fittings are 26tpi cycle thread. You should be able to see in your parts list, standard fittings will have a number prefixed with as many zero's it needs, to make a 6 digit number eg 000004 000080. However some parts may have been replaced with the wrong part. So do not assume a nut will fit on an existing bolt. You may need to replace the nut and bolt. Studs etc. may be special parts unchanged. So just a correct nut may fit.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Engine bolts/studs etc are BSF.. anything that screws into or protrudes out of aluminum where you think should be Whitworth will be BSF
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Jefftaff

Post by Jefftaff »

Ozmadman wrote:Engine bolts/studs etc are BSF.. anything that screws into or protrudes out of aluminum where you think should be Whitworth will be BSF
Thank you it was the fact they are whitworth spanners but not a whitworth thread that confused me thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You will find many studs are 20TPI & 26TPI, the 20TPI end going into the alloy.
You really need to look at your bike's parts list. You will then see all the parts you may be wanting to change to stainless. These parts may not be correct sizes that are at present fitted on your bike. The lightweight parts list do not show many fitting sizes. However most common fittings date back to the prewar era . So part numbers will be found in, master parts lists which do give the sizes. Such a list is right at the top of the parts books in archives.jampot.dk I even made a lightweight excel file, that could be sorted to show all the fittings together. Couple that with the master file just mentioned in the archives. (Which is a compilation of three issues ) There's your lightweight list of fittings and sizes at your finger tips.
I have to ask myself was it worth me doing this. I did it some time ago when the question was asked about part sizes here on the forum. So perhaps could have been searched here on the forum. You will the find all the answers without having to ask the question.
I cannot recall how far I got with the light weight excel file and sorted printed version. I reached a point when I asked who wanted the files. No one wanted them, so gave up. I never bothered keeping printed versions or the excel files. I seem to recall giving something to our President Janet, as she has a lightweight and may find something of use within the files.
clive

Post by clive »

Rob Harknett wrote: I have to ask myself was it worth me doing this. I did it some time ago when the question was asked about part sizes here on the forum. So perhaps could have been searched here on the forum. You will the find all the answers without having to ask the question.
Fair do's Rob however the search facility for the forum is not the magic button you represent it as. Often it comes up with tens of pages of forum entries and it is the devil to find the one you want. You only have to answer a question on this forum if you want to.........
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote:So part numbers will be found in, master parts lists which do give the sizes. Such a list is right at the top of the parts books in archives.jampot.dk I even made a lightweight excel file, that could be sorted to show all the fittings together. Couple that with the master file just mentioned in the archives. (Which is a compilation of three issues ) There's your lightweight list of fittings and sizes at your finger tips.
Have you done such a list for the club website or do you compile them for Christian's Archives? New members will have no idea whereabouts to go and look elsewhere and, as Clive said, it can be difficult sorting through all the posts that come up from a search. It's not always easy knowing what words to use in a search that will bring up answers that are relevant.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

In fairness to Jefftaff, the question was about Lightweight studs Rob. Despite your heroic efforts with the parts list spreadsheets, I still haven't found a definitive list anywhere of Lightweight studs & fittings. So until that changes, I'm pretty sure this is the right place to ask.

I attempted to compile a list of studs when I changed mine to stainless fittings here:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... ds#p174244

Note my list isn't 100% correct (and my bike isn't standard anyway): in particular, I think 3.75" is a better length for the rear frame upper stud. Hopefully a useful starting point...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I have to agree with Clive, searching the forum is very time consuming as it will throw up many results. This is mainly due to the way it is used. Topics get changed. If you just search the fist posting, that does not always help. Take this topic for example " Stainless " that will throw up all sorts of results. When the topic is really about " lightweight fittings "
As for files I have made. The club get them all, either printed and / or digital. At best they just get archived. We do not have Archives such as Christains archives. What I have contributed to Christians archives over a couple of decades also went to the club, plus more. As I have said before, at considerable cost to myself. Many photocopies made plus postage. Not to mention what I have paid for original material which, has been over £100 for some items. Like old trade books with dating info and factory literature.
During all those years all I could do was submit items to the club archives. I could have put it all in a website much easier. If I could have done so for the club. It was not long ago a lot of Tech tips were still to be scanned, about 100. No one offered to do the job. One person just made a list of the tech tips and in which magazine they were published. I spent best part a of week going through my own collection of magazines scanning that lot to PDF files, which Eamonn promptly uploaded to the club website.
So it is up to you the members . We cannot even get committee members, let alone librarian etc. Which would take some one special. I have been a club librarian. The library took a room in my house, which included a large photocopy machine. Nearly every evening after work was spent coping orders for literature, mailing it out, keeping accounts etc.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It's probably worth repeating here that the searchable parts lists are not in the most obvious place in the archives!
For reference, they are here: http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... res_Lists/

It took me ages to notice them, because they're in a sub-folder below the original parts lists...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS