Rear sprocket

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Janet

Rear sprocket

Post by Janet »

A question for lightweight owners. If we were able to source rear sprockets ( ie the one on the back wheel ) without having to modify them to fit lightweight machines, how much would you be prepared to pay for one?

Note: this would be on behalf on Jampot Spares and not advertising a private enterprise.
Ozmadman

Re: Rear sprocket

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:A question for lightweight owners. If we were able to source rear sprockets ( ie the one on the back wheel ) without having to modify them to fit lightweight machines, how much would you be prepared to pay for one?

Note: this would be on behalf on Jampot Spares and not advertising a private enterprise.
I have one of the wrongly drilled ones so I am ok when and if my current one wears out but having a look round ebay for the price of various Brit bike rear sprockets and given he fact that they will have to be specially made I would think in the region of £25 - £35 would be a fair price considering they are just a circular toothed ring as opposed to some of the more "complete sprockets"
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

Ozmadman wrote:
Janet wrote:A question for lightweight owners. If we were able to source rear sprockets ( ie the one on the back wheel ) without having to modify them to fit lightweight machines, how much would you be prepared to pay for one?

I have one of the wrongly drilled ones so I am ok when and if my current one wears out but having a look round ebay for the price of various Brit bike rear sprockets and given he fact that they will have to be specially made I would think in the region of £25 - £35 would be a fair price considering they are just a circular toothed ring as opposed to some of the more "complete sprockets"
Dream on Paul, by the time a blank sprocket is purchased and machined to fit you'll be looking at double that price range.
ajsm18

Post by ajsm18 »

If it helps, I paid £65 at the Stafford show last April for a two tooth smaller blank plus new chain for my Model 8. I can't remember the split between chain and sprocket cost but think that the blank was about £30-£35. The machining to fit my hub was extra but was done as a favour to me so I don't know how much that would cost.
shifter

Post by shifter »

About £35-£40 I think would be a fair price
?
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

shifter wrote:About £35-£40 I think would be a fair price
Guys, is it ever a wonder why the parts service runs out of parts and no longer wants to source replacements. You'll be lucky to buy a blank for those prices, add in the machining costs and you'll easily be in the £60 - 70 bracket. For a bulk purchase the costs will reduce but not greatly enough to be anywhere near the figures you wish to pay. Let's face it even a large order to us is only going to be 25-50, which in the grand scheme of production is bugger all!
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

At the time of the incorrectly drilled items, Parts Service made enquiries with sprocket suppliers who indicated a price in the region of £55 - £65 for small batch production ( up to 10 ):
To ger anywhere near a £35 - £40 price point would necesssitate a batch size of 80 - 100 which therefore begs the question of how many are actually needed?
From this thread it would appear that maybe 10 is around a realistic quantity???
Janet

Post by Janet »

We would be looking at having a single sprocket, a batch of 10, and a batch of 20 costed. As Rob and Stuart say, achieving a big discount would only come from a large quantity, which would require a projection of future sales before any order is placed.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I'm not familiar with Lightweight sprockets but did AMC make their own or buy them in? If, back in the day they bought them in perhaps nowadays other marques' Spares Schemes (BSA, Norton, Triumph, Velocette, R Enfield etc.) stock compatible sprockets or similar ones which could be re-drilled or whatever. We can't be the only ones needing small batches............. Not that they'd be much less cost I guess after the additional re-drilling/machining costs.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

There are places that supply various sprockets or blanks but we're trying to get a supplier who will make the finished product for a reasonable cost to avoid people having to get them modified.