Ajs M14csr race bike

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Ajs M14csr race bike

Post by Ozmadman »

That's one lovely looking bike there Colin!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi all, just an update on my search for info on the factory M14 CSR race bike, not much to report unfortunately, still trying to source any information from Peter Williams, however, the little i can find out is that his father prepared the bike at the factory for the 1964 Thruxton 500, which both Peter and Tony Woods won, it the went back to the factory to be prepared for the Montjuic 24hrs endurance race in Barcelona, again prepared under Jack Williams supervision, i have found only one photo of the bike in the pits at Barcelona, a little vague as B&W and taken at an angle, the tank/seat and top fairing are obviously not standard items as for the rest it`s a bit difficult to make out, specification wise i havn`t a clue as yet.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

I am not sure that it was the same bike... the Thruxton bike was registered 1031KR and the 24 hour bike was registered UPU2. Lots of differences from the photo's although clearly they could have been changed between races, but I would be surprised if the bike was re-registered.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

Here are a couple of period pictures of the bike from Thruxton.
Peter Williams Thruxton 1964.pdf
Tony Wood Thruxton 1964.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Thanks very much John for the photographs, have spoken to Peter Williams yesterday, lovely man and very helpful as far as information from memory, any other information you may have, regarding these lightweight racers, i would be very interested in, especially specifications on the engines, i know from Peter that the bike used at Thruxton was capable of at least 100 mph which was amazing, considering apart from the engine, practically everything else was standard, obviously the bike at Montjuic in Barcelona looked different with its racing tank/seat/fairing but is it the same machine???, just for info, Peter confirms that the machine at Thruxton actually was owned by Tom Arter and was passed to Jack Williams(father) for race preparation in the competition shop, after which, it did approx 10/12 laps of Brands Hatch for testing, by both Peter and Tony, the machine was eventually handed back to Tom Arter but disappeared from the workshops when Peter was riding full time for Tom, where it is now is unknown, if it still exist`s, anyway thanks again and i look forward to speaking to you again, regards.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Excellent work, Geoff!
The small snippets of information on this bike are fascinating...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Martin.S

Post by Martin.S »

Came across this - Fascinating read although not complete with some pictures.
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=14z ... on&f=false
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Fantastic! I love the photo of the "24 hour" racer. The rev counter drive is clearly visible, most impressed with the padding on the tank for extended riding flat out...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS