AJS M14 factory modifications.

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clanger9

Re: AJS M14 factory modifications.

Post by clanger9 »

If you are looking at the Lightweight gearbox & clutch variations (the horror!!), then these attached files will also be useful.
I couldn't find this information anywhere, so this is just what I have managed to pull together...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi, thanks again for the info, obviously, there must be information within the club archives on the bikes, do you know if the archives are listed by model and years, if so who do i need to speak to regarding getting copies of all information the club has on model 14`s, regards.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

A good source of info is in Christian's Archive, although (not surprisingly) there's not as much Lightweight info as there is for the Heavyweights and twins.
Have a trawl through the various categories, here:

http://archives.jampot.dk/
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

clanger9 wrote:Here's what the standard cast iron flywheels look like:
IMG_1925.jpg
They are easy to identify because they don't have the counterbalance holes.
Where do you find this stuff, was it off your bike originally?
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

No, I picked that crank up very cheaply on eBay. Mostly because I wanted a spare and at that point I hadn't figured out that it was the wrong one for my bike!
Apparently the cast flywheels are quite hard to find in usable condition, so no doubt a future owner will find them useful...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
Janet

Post by Janet »

geoffb-63 wrote:Hi, thanks again for the info, obviously, there must be information within the club archives on the bikes, do you know if the archives are listed by model and years, if so who do i need to speak to regarding getting copies of all information the club has on model 14`s, regards.
Just for info, the website that Spriddler referred to as 'Christian's Archives' doesn't belong to our club although Christian, who manages it, is a club member. It is funded from donations. That is usually the first port of call for us.

Regarding what information is held by the club, perhaps I should know, but I don't. I think you'll find that most documents are on paper so would be be time consuming to find, remove, copy and replace.
raffles

Post by raffles »

I believe it has been the case that a member is welcome at Kettering HQ to trawl through whatever material the club has. No material to be taken away
on loan or for any other reason (although I could be corrected ) there is certainly no at Kettering to sort through for you.
Tony
Janet

Post by Janet »

raffles wrote:I believe it has been the case that a member is welcome at Kettering HQ to trawl through whatever material the club has. No material to be taken away on loan or for any other reason (although I could be corrected ) there is certainly no at Kettering to sort through for you.
Tony
Oh yes, when I said "remove, copy, and replace" I meant from the shelf/box/folder where it is kept, not remove from the premises.
geoffb-63

Post by geoffb-63 »

Hi all, still at it trying to get as much information as possible, have magazine photo`s and mags being delivered from the sixties era, anything in fact with the bikes in, i would like to also do some number crunching and dates, are there any factory records that list how many bikes were produced year by year, for the UK if poss or UK + export, when production started/finished on the various models, i.e. M14, M14s, CS, CSR, am i correct in thinking that the M14/M14s/CS finished production in 1963 and only the CSR was produced after that until 1966, i know i am asking alot but any info helps, regards.
shifter

Post by shifter »

Hello Geoff
There is an article on lightweights in The Classic Motorcycle April 2015, not sure if its what you need or want but I quite enjoyed reading it you could get a back copy off e bay here is one on sale at the mo item number 122825826103
?