Matchless G2 CSR250 1964

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
MarkD

Matchless G2 CSR250 1964

Post by MarkD »

Hi all

I am a new member (joined today) and new owner of a Matchless G2 250 my first British bike.

I discovered today the owners club and a very helpful chap called Gary. I asked for his advice on gearbox and engine oil for my bike, I showed him a reproduced Matchless owners manual and the recommendations within it.
Engine Lubrication SAE 30-Gearbox SAE 50, Gary was not sure this recommendation was the best for my motorcycle and advised I ask you guys, so please what should I put in it??

Kind Regards
Mark
shifter

Re: Matchless G2 CSR250 1964

Post by shifter »

Hello and welcome Mark
We have 250 and 350 lightweights and use straight sae 40 in the engine and straight 50 in the gearbox all year round in both bikes just make sure the gearbox oil level is kept up to the bottom of the inspection cover hole
shifter
Last edited by shifter on Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Continue using straight oil. Only switch to modern detergent type if the engine has been stripped and well cleaned. Detergent oil will loosen sludge and perhaps block oil ways. 50 SAE summer 30 SAE winter, not sure if this is so for the lightweight. Your Instruction book will tell you which you should have. If only riding in the warmer days just stick to 50 SAE, or what ever the book states. 40 has been mentioned. That should be a happy medium, unless its really hot and you are thrashing the bike.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I use SAE 50 in both but don't really use he bike in the winter
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Thank you all for your time and advice..
Mark
Janet

Post by Janet »

I, too, have a 1964 G2CSR. Just to add to the rest of the comments, I use SAE50 in engine, gearbox and chaincase. This means when I'm out and about, I only need to carry one type of oil to deal with the leaks. The good news is that, following work to various locations on the machine, the size of the bottle I need has gone down. ;) Now, about this blue smoke............... :( Well, it's burning less than it used to leak so no panic yet. :)

Regarding detergent in the oil, don't panic unduly. Even Castrol classic GP50 of Morris lubricant as sold by the club (collection only) has some detergent in it, which holds fine particles of dirt in suspension and doesn't deposit them on the engine parts. Just look for a mineral oil with low detergent, avoiding anything with the words synthetic or semi-synthetic as this can cause clutch slip problems if you put it in your chaincase.

Several people here have read my exploits with Vesta, both when riding and when mending the poor little thing, some with amusement and some with concern that I really shouldn't be let loose with a motorcycle. One member's wife told me my bike is always broken. Not so! I have witnesses who have seen it out on the road just before I broke it again. I appear to be doing a complete restoration bit by bit, as and when I break something. A lot of this is a result of abuse and lack of maintenance by previous owners but, with the patience, tolerance and understanding of, mainly, club members, it's teaching me a lot about motorcycles. Despite the problems, which I hasten to add, are not compulsory for every lightweight owner, I love it to bits and, once you've got used to it, I'm sure you'll love yours too. Just don't expect it to perform the way your other bikes do. Being different is part of the charm.

Don't be afraid to ask questions, even those you may feel are silly, but I suggest you look through the various threads first because there isn't much that hasn't been talked about before. Your full membership status isn't showing on your profile and there will be some parts of the website that you won't be able to see until it is. If it doesn't change in a day or so, contact Eamonn, our webmaster, who will sort it for you. Unlike many of us oldies, he still has to work for a living and fit in a life outside the club, so it may take a few days. I also note that your live in Rushden. Our Jampot Rally next August will be at Rushden RFC so you won't have much excuse not to go. It's being hosted by the Heart of England Section. If you don't already know of them, they meet on 2nd and 4th Thursday of the month at The Lamb, 16-20 High Street, Stoke Goldington, Bucks. MK16 8NR.
MarkD

Post by MarkD »

Thank you Janet and your right I have no excuse ( I could walk there) I will be attending glad it's before the Manx GP as I'm off to that as well, be great to meet up with you all....