Gearbox oil level

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
pecon

Re: Gearbox oil level

Post by pecon »

Now thats an idea. I'm all for bodg.. eh modifications if they work :). I took off the outer cover and there was a drip sitting on the first gasket but no obvious sign of a source. I've cleaned the area and will have another look in daylight.
Janet

Post by Janet »

While you're making a list of oil leak positions, you may as well add the filler/inspection cover. When you're out on the road the oil in the gearbox gets stirred up above the level of the cover with the possible result of a leak past the gasket.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Oh dear Janet, this is getting to be a long list !
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes you can put 2 o rings/seals in there and if you use the part number with a suffix X they are the seal version. The kick start may be a bit sluggish to return at first but it will soon free up..
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
dodger

Post by dodger »

Dodger, hopefully thats not what I'm experiencing. How did you rectify that or was it a case of a replacement box?.

I used a replacement casing, plenty of them about and cheap if you shop around, lightweight spares are not that sought after.
Janet

Post by Janet »

dodger wrote: lightweight spares are not that sought after.
That may have been true in 'the old days' but I think you will find that they are getting increasingly sought after because quantities are declining at the same time as more people seem to be resurrecting the lightweights.
pecon

Post by pecon »

While removing the kick start arm I found that the splines on the arm had been stripped with only a few left. I checked with AMC Classic spares with no luck for the part, second hand or new and only one appears in the JP spares section which is for the Burman. If anyone can anyone tell me what other machines might have used the same kick start arm I would be very grateful.

Peter
pecon

Post by pecon »

Had a look at my kickstart and it looks original. I found the name Richards stamped on the nut holding the swivel followed by the numbers 45-55. Can anyone tell me what these markings might indicate?. Im not having any luck locating a replacement and was told by the spares department that they don't know of anyone making these.

Peter
shifter

Post by shifter »

Janet wrote:
dodger wrote: lightweight spares are not that sought after.
That may have been true in 'the old days' but I think you will find that they are getting increasingly sought after because quantities are declining at the same time as more people seem to be resurrecting the lightweights.
Yes i think you are spot on Janet
?
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

pecon wrote:Had a look at my kickstart and it looks original. I found the name Richards stamped on the nut holding the swivel followed by the numbers 45-55. Can anyone tell me what these markings might indicate?. Im not having any luck locating a replacement and was told by the spares department that they don't know of anyone making these.

Peter
Keep checking ebay, boxes and parts of boxes do get on there now and again.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed