Ajs model 14 oil pump guide pin?????

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
poweller996

Ajs model 14 oil pump guide pin?????

Post by poweller996 »

Hi all I'm after some help, I've started to investigate to my lack of oil flow .
I have just removed the oil pump guide pin and noticed it was spaced out with 3 washers is this normal?
Many thanks mat
file-8710B933-7D4C-4AF6-B987-8958697467B2-4484-0000028A6F7A8E06.jpg
file-A2E58122-765E-4FE2-A986-4BE161CE3E22-4484-0000028A7D02B0FD.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by poweller996 on Sun Sep 10, 2017 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
poweller996

Re: Ajs model 14 oil pump guide pin?????

Post by poweller996 »

I have tried to up load a photo but am unable to as it keeps saying file is to big..!😡
I will keep trying.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

poweller996 wrote:I have tried to up load a photo but am unable to as it keeps saying file is to big..!😡
I will keep trying.
File must be under 1mb. If you are unable to re size it, I will help. E mail the file to me prewar@jampot.com I will re size and upload it for you
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

file-8710B933-7D4C-4AF6-B987-8958697467B2-4484-0000028A6F7A8E06.jpg
Hi rob many thanks for offer but I have managed to download an app to resize the photos.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

poweller996 wrote:Hi all I'm after some help, I've started to investigate to my lack of oil flow .
I have just removed the oil pump guide pin and noticed it was spaced out with 3 washers is this normal?
Many thanks mat
No its not normal and actually there should not be any washers on there at all. Just change the pin (narrow end goes into the bolt so wider end slots into the oil pump shaft) and put it back minus the washers. The old pin may be hard to remove from the bolt because of hydraulic suction but it will come out. If you haven't rotated the engine with the bolt out then you should have no trouble re-locating the pin back into the slot in the shaft but MAKE SURE it does locate correctly, do the bolt up GENTLY and take your time, t should screw fully home without any resistance if you have the pin in the correct place
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

Hi Paul , I thought this was not right as I could not see any washers in the workshop manual.
I did take the washers off and try to screw it back in but I could not completely screw it all the way in.
I'm thinking it may not of been located correctly in the first place causing my lack of oil flow.
Many thanks mat
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Hi Mat

Ok, if you can get to the back of the engine (gearbox needs to be out) then you can undo the large slotted cover, remove it and stick your finger in the hole and rotate the pump shaft back and forth whilst at the same time gently screwing the pin bolt in until you are happy that you have located it in the groove. If not you may have to use the kick start to move the engine back and forth until you can locate the slot. The shaft only moves back and forth a small amount as the engine rotates so it shouldn't be too difficult to locate the groove.. I have found a picture on the net of a shaft (one picture I didn't take)so you can see where the groove is, the gear part of the pump goes in first so the groove is towards the back of the engine. Also, I have attached a picture of the back of the engine showing the slotted cap you would need to remove to get to the pump shaft if you needed to (ie to replace it for example) the only issue I can see is that you don't know if there is any damage to the shaft or not. Hopefully having those washers added has spaced the pin so far out that it hasn't touched the shaft at all!!
Paul
1960 Model 8
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

Hi Paul many thanks , I have now removed the gearbox and removed the oil pump and it is all fine, I did screw the pump locating pin back in with all the washers on with the pump removed to see if the guide pin would be touching the pump but luckily the pin doesn't even protrud into the pump gallery.
The only two questions I have is I did remove the small bolt that is going into the side of the pump housing at the front which I thought was a retaining/ locating bolt for the pump but not sure if it was.?
I'm also going to replace the pump guide pin as I have it apart, any idea where I can get one from?
Many thanks for all your help.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

poweller996 wrote:Hi Paul many thanks , I have now removed the gearbox and removed the oil pump and it is all fine, I did screw the pump locating pin back in with all the washers on with the pump removed to see if the guide pin would be touching the pump but luckily the pin doesn't even protrud into the pump gallery.
The only two questions I have is I did remove the small bolt that is going into the side of the pump housing at the front which I thought was a retaining/ locating bolt for the pump but not sure if it was.?
I'm also going to replace the pump guide pin as I have it apart, any idea where I can get one from?
Many thanks for all your help.
Just screw that bolt back in, it just locates the end plug (which has an o ring on it) which seals up the end of the tunnel, no need to remove that. Yes replace that pin regardless it's only a couple of quid and looks like club spares has them part number 010079 http://www.amoc-parts.com/store/comersus_listItems.asp (page 9)
Paul
1960 Model 8