Matchless g2 clutch

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ernie green

Matchless g2 clutch

Post by Ernie green »

Hello everyone I have just bought a g2 a few weeks ago and new to the club,I seem to have an oil leak on the gearbox sprocket shaft, I have stripped the primary and clutch plates out,problems with the centre nut holding the basket ,don't know the size ,and there is very little room to get a socket on to it or is there a special socket to fit, also will I have to have a puller to pull off the basket,I think the size is inch and a quarter, any info at all will be greatly appreciated , many thanks ,ernie. g
Janet

Re: Matchless g2 clutch

Post by Janet »

I use a box spanner. According to the manual this should be 23/32" A/F.

An oil leak from behind the gearbox sprocket is faily common. If it's a ting drip, I wouldn't bother too much about it but keep checking the oil level in case it gets worse to the extent that it runs out faster than you can keep it topped up. The moving parts of the gearbox are at the top so the level must be kept up. If it marks its territory with big pools of oil, you do need to put in a new seal.
These links may help you.

http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... models.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... ist_G2.pdf
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... e_View.pdf

BTW, there is a section of the forum for the G2/M14 that has loads of advice and information about the 250cc lightweights. It is worth looking in the G5/M8 section which is for the 350ccc lightweight where you can also find relevant answers to some questions. Not everything is the same but their design is similar enough that many of the same problems and solutions occur with all the lightweights.
Ernie green

Post by Ernie green »

Thank for the info and links that's great ,the oil is dropping quite a lot so have to get it done,thanks again ,ernie g
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

23/32" not easy to find. I always manage to find a box spanner from my rusty old collection when a box spanner is needed. Cannot really take a bike to bits and try my old boxes. Perhaps I have got away with using the more common 3/4" size. May be worth a try, if you have one. Even if you have to pack it out a bit with a strip cut from a Coke can.
Ernie green

Post by Ernie green »

Thanks for the info rob will try that if I cannot get the size.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

I believe I used an ordinary spark plug socket on my clutch centre...

Steve S.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

would that be 18mm plug spanner Steve, maybe that's what I have found when wanting a box spanner for the clutch.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Not wanting to infringe the advertising rules* but these people should be able to help if you don't mind the cost ( until they've sold out ).

Edit: Looks like I did as the link isn't there now.
Last edited by Janet on Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Janet wrote:Not wanting to infringe the advertising rules but these people should be able to help if you don't mind the cost ( until they've sold out ).
Quite a few people on the forum suggest where parts & services can be found Janet. Who are the people that stock the AF 23/32" box spanners. Its not a size found in short sets, not sure if its available as a single item. Some single spanners are as much or more as some sets. I have always got by with spanners I have, but would be nice to know where I could always find the correct size. ( I keep special tools in a box ) I'm like a Magpie picking up cheap old box and Whitworth spanners at boot sales for about 20/50p I'll have to look out for the clutch box spanner, now I know the size. if I can remember it.
Steve S

Post by Steve S »

Rob Harknett wrote:would that be 18mm plug spanner Steve, maybe that's what I have found when wanting a box spanner for the clutch.
Yes it was a standard plug socket, fitted very well I seem to remember, Steve S.