Ajs model 14, 1959. Help

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Ozmadman

Re: Ajs model 14, 1959. Help

Post by Ozmadman »

Just to clarify, is the oil coming out of those tiny holes behind the rocker arms as in my video or is it just wet behind that cover?? a bit unusual that you have oil to the rockers and no return??? Have you had a look at the oil filter yet to make sure there are no blockages there? this is behind that large cap with a hex hole in it on the LH side at the front of the engine. Also if there is no real feed to the rockers then its likely the small drilling that goes from the tank through the barrel and out of the head is blocked. Just get a thin piece of wire and poke it down the hole as far as it will go to clear it . I have done a picture to show you which hole to look for once the rocker cover is off (new gasket needed if the other one breaks when you remove the cover) Oh, ignore that large nut showing on the head, you won't have that but you will have a long 5/16" BSF bolt that goes through into the barrel. This is a mod I had to do as my thread had stripped badly in the barrel and someone had then botched it with a helicoil that had also stripped and was put in at an angle. the only solution was to tap the barrel with a 10mm coarse thread and fit a stud with a good dose of loctite for a secure fixing, drill the head out to a similar size and then use a nut to replace the smaller bolt.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

Hi,
There was no real flow coming from the holes behind the rockers if any at all, but there was oil splashing around the rockers.
I've not check the filter yet but as soon as I get back from my holiday I will get on and start investigating.
I will keep you post on my findings,
Many thanks mat
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

Hi now back off my holiday I'm just starting to investigate my lack of oil flow on my model 14 1959,
I have just removed the large Allen key bolt on the left hand front of the engine to remove the crankcase fabric filter and have noticed the there is no spring behind the Allen key bolt holding the crankcase filter in place,
Could this be the cause of my lack of oil flow.?
Many thanks mat.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

poweller996 wrote:Hi now back off my holiday I'm just starting to investigate my lack of oil flow on my model 14 1959,
I have just removed the large Allen key bolt on the left hand front of the engine to remove the crankcase fabric filter and have noticed the there is no spring behind the Allen key bolt holding the crankcase filter in place,
Could this be the cause of my lack of oil flow.?
Many thanks mat.
You should have this, one is the long filter and the other the short filter... the early 250 originally had a wire mesh cylindrical filter so has probably been replaced with your felt one by now. You should have the short option I think on the early 250.. There should be a metal cap at the hex plug end with a recess to take the spring and at the other end a similar cap but with a hole in it to allow the oil through. That one may still be down the end of the tunnel, shine a light down there and make sure it is there and not canted to one side, you can hook it out with a piece of wire if you need to. Don't think the missing spring would cause you to loose of circulation though but make sure the filter is clean, you can get away with washing these out a few times. Also, make sure the filter has the felt on the inside as some pattern ones has it on the outside.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
poweller996

Post by poweller996 »

Many thanks for photos Ozmadman, I have the short filter and it's not in in good condition so I have ordered a new filter and Spring and see if that makes any difference.
One thing I did notice when taking out the filter was that the oil around the filter was black, but the oil in the oil tank is clean.
Many thanks mat
Janet

Post by Janet »

poweller996 wrote:One thing I did notice when taking out the filter was that the oil around the filter was black, but the oil in the oil tank is clean.
That suggests to me the oil isn't circulating.
I judge where my oil leaks originate by the colour of the pool on the ground.
Black and dirty = engine (even not long after an oil change )
Clean and golden =gearbox
somewhere in between = primary chaincase
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote: I judge where my oil leaks originate by the colour of the pool on the ground.
Black and dirty = engine (even not long after an oil change )
Clean and golden =gearbox
somewhere in between = primary chaincase
:rofl: :rofl: like it!
Paul
1960 Model 8