I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
pecon

Re: I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Post by pecon »

Is there any way to date the engine from the number as from comments it seems to be later than the frame,

Peter
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

It probably would be as it appears that the frame is from the original bike a model14 standard bike yet the engine being a CSR one would naturally be later as they are later bikes
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

pecon wrote:Janet, the anchor on mine looked like a very poor copy of the one on yours. Which model is that?.

Peter
Mine is the Matchless equivalent of a M14CSR, ie a G2CSR. It is from 1964. AS far as I know, most of it is original.

Offside
WWH201401.jpg
Nearside
DCP_1193.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Obviously a much loved and well used machine Janet, now I see what you mean about patina ;)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

pecon wrote:Is there any way to date the engine from the number as from comments it seems to be later than the frame,

Peter
Yes the engine number can be dated Peter. It is stamped CSR. I think your dating results will show it is 5 years younger than the frame. The year of manufacture is dated from the frame year.
pecon

Post by pecon »

This bike is starting to remind me of a certain Johnny Cash song :? . I received word back from the dating service and the frame number comes in as a 1969 60/G5, not what I had expected. I'm not sure where the Model 14 came from other than theres a 14 stamped on the engine which may have confused the seller, who as I mentioned, brought it into the country as a job lot. I suppose I'm somewhat lucky in that the V5C has the same engine and frame numbers as appear on the bike. So to sum up, when I go to buy parts do I order engine parts for a '65 250 CSR and frame parts for a '60 G5 or is that too easy :headbang:

Peter
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

It appears factory records state the frame started life as a G5. It is not unusual to find your AJS started life as a Matchless or vice versa. Some owners may never know unless they check factory records via the club dating service. A G5 / Mod 8 differs from a G2 / mod 14, mainly by having the larger 350 engine, heavyweight forks and 18" wheels. The G5 / mod 8 was discontinued July 1962. Basically dating has confirmed what the frame started life as. It could have been picked up and made as any 1960 lightweight model. You may have a few odd bits on the bike. But you can consider it as a 1960 model 14 that has been given a 1965 mod 14 CSR engine and front end. There are many post war machines made up of bits like this, due to interchangeably of parts for various years and models. It may take a while to discover any odd bits fitted. Also what gearbox is fitted. Look at pictures show as to the correct front brake anchor you need to match the wheel and forks. This is what I have on my 1966 CSR
SDC14712.JPG
pecon wrote:This bike is starting to remind me of a certain Johnny Cash song :? . I received word back from the dating service and the frame number comes in as a 1969 60/G5, not what I had expected. I'm not sure where the Model 14 came from other than theres a 14 stamped on the engine which may have confused the seller, who as I mentioned, brought it into the country as a job lot. I suppose I'm somewhat lucky in that the V5C has the same engine and frame numbers as appear on the bike. So to sum up, when I go to buy parts do I order engine parts for a '65 250 CSR and frame parts for a '60 G5 or is that too easy :headbang:

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Janet

Post by Janet »

pecon wrote:Obviously a much loved and well used machine Janet, now I see what you mean about patina ;)
You may find it hard to believe, but some people don't seem to appreciate how much time, effort, and even physical pain goes into keeping a bike in that condition.
pecon wrote: So to sum up, when I go to buy parts do I order engine parts for a '65 250 CSR and frame parts for a '60 G5 or is that too easy :headbang:

Peter
I think you will need to assess each part as you need it. Even though the frame number identifies as a G5, there's still something different about the front wheel because of, if nothing else, the CSR brake plate, and possibly more. The G5/M8 are the 350cc lightweights and it didn't come with that style of brake. They would also have 18" rims whereas all the 250s have 17". The front frame of a 350 is different from a 250 but I think the back end may be the same. I don't have a 350 so can't comment with much authority, I but believe that it is taller, to accommodate a taller engine. Therefore a 250 could fit into a 350 frame but to do it the other way round may be too tight/need a shoehorn.

Regarding obtaining spares, you've started well because you have a complete and working machine. While it may not be as it came from the factory, if your purpose is just to use and enjoy it, rather than putting it back to its original state, you have the advantage of having the parts to wave in front of a spares vendor and say "I want one of these". Since I don't know the technical terms for many parts, I've found this technique to be very effective, especially if it's accompanied by a "don't even think of saying you haven't got one" stare.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote: They would also have 18" rims whereas all the 250s have 17". The front frame of a 350 is different from a 250 but I think the back end may be the same. I don't have a 350 so can't comment with much authority, I but believe that it is taller, to accommodate a taller engine. Therefore a 250 could fit into a 350 frame but to do it the other way round may be too tight/need a shoehorn.
That's correct but there are a few differences at the rear too. here's a couple of extracts from the parts list for the G5/G2.G2CS/R
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
pecon

Post by pecon »

Rob: Many thanks for the words of comfort. Just checked the gearbox and found the number G2R 1551 stamped on it, does this help?. Mine is fitted with 17 inch rims and the photo of the anchor is , like Janet's very similar in design to the made up job fitted to mine. Do you know what the part number might be as I have had no luck with a quick search for one, which is probably why the PO fitted that monstrosity?

Janet: As I mentioned to Rob this one has 17 inch rims. It looks as though I will have some head scratching moments ahead, but thanks to all the help I have received here things are getting clearer. As for giving them the stare, I could never manage it over the internet :) as being in Ireland I have no direct access to Classic parts suppliers. We tend to holiday each year in the UK and I take the opportunity to hit whichever shop is near.

Ozmadman: I've been looking at parts lists for the Model 14 so perhaps it's time to look at the G5 instead?. The confusing part is that at first glance all the frame and tin ware looks so similar.

Thanks to all,

Peter