I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Rob Harknett

Re: I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Post by Rob Harknett »

I did state earlier we do need to ID the bike. All too often a bike turns out to be something other that we are told. We are told the bike is 1960 mod 14. So you are being told of parts that are wrong for your bike. They could actually be correct? I have been told by pre war bike owner's , so many time's what their is. Only to waste my time re-searching information for their bike. I later discover their bike is not what it was claimed to be. My first rule now is, let us first confirm what you have.
Janet questioned the heavy weight forks not being introduced until 1962 on the CSR models. This was indeed correct. However this was very late in the 1962 model year, having been introduced in May 1962. But that only applies to CSR models. The CS model was introduced late in the 1959 model year, June 1959. The 1959 14 CS had heavy weight forks. This can often get overlooked. Heavyweight forks on a lightweight, does not have to be a CSR 1962 onwards. They could be CS model 1959 onwards. So do not start ordering parts yet.
Ashampoo_Snap_2017.08.15_12h16m36s_001_.png
To save confusion, the bike year & model does need to be positively dated before we continue with this topic.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
pecon

Post by pecon »

OK Rob, I've sent off payment to the dating service which hopefully will give a better idea of the details required. When I hear back I'll let you know. Peter
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

pecon wrote:OK Rob, I've sent off payment to the dating service which hopefully will give a better idea of the details required. When I hear back I'll let you know. Peter
Seems as I was typing the last posting, you came in with a frame and engine number.
Don't worry too much about that " first registered " comment. A lot of bikes have that, which had lost reg. numbers and were later re registered at Swansea. The document may also state, declared manufactured etc. You have probably got a 1960 model 14 with some CSR parts, like circa 65 front end also 1965 CSR engine. It will look like a 1960 model 14 with the wrong front end. So refer to 1965 CSR for the front end and engine.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Rob Harknett wrote:Janet questioned the heavy weight forks not being introduced until 1962 on the CSR models.
I did no such thing, never even mentioning the type of fork. If you're going to write a load of stuff contradicting what I've typed, you could at least contradict something I actually did write instead of making it up.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Peter, it may be worth you getting your bike dated as the CSR wasn't manufactured until, I think 1962. It's possible that the front wheel has been changed and the rest of the bike is standard for the original M14, or, perhaps you have a CSR with an earlier registration date. A photo would provide us with a good indication. The early lightweights had painted mudguards. The CSRs began with huge chromed mudguards and rear chain guard, whereas the later ones were smaller and, I believe, aluminium.
This is what I read Janet. You said about the wheel being wrong, although not mentioned this also makes the forks wrong. Wheel and forks must match , both are either mod 14 or 14CSR. You did just say the wheel was wrong and the rest mod 14, which the forks certainly are not. Mod 14 forks are totally different to CSR heavyweight forks. Both wheels and forks having different brake anchor points. I assumed you knew this. Unless I've got it all wrong. I am however saying the forks, wheel and engine are circa 1965 CSR. Based on my own bikes, factory literature. Also frame and engine numbers published many years ago in Jampot. Also published in other books.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Janet, I was wondering which model you have as the brake anchor is identical in style (but not quality) to the one on mine.

Rob, did the photo on the previous page give any indication of what I have?

Peter
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Strange as a "A" plate is 1963?? Does the frame number match the V5? The stand looks like the later stand which is better as they were more solid and that will fit but you will need some other parts to fit it if there is nothing there. It has the later Teledraulic forks which were originally fitted to the model 8's (350) and the matchless G5 and then the CSR 250's, a 1960 standard model 14 has a different fork but yours are a ton better so that is a plus. the exhaust front pipe looks wrong as the silencer is far too low and too far out from the rear wheel but the silencer looks ok. There should be no front pipe stay attached to the engine either it just pushes in the head (no gasket) and then attaches to a dog leg shaped bracket down under the engine. Looks like you have a model 14 (still got the painted mudguards) with the later front end (forks, headlamp and wheels etc) which is not a bad thing TBH. Whats the engine number? it is located at the rear of the engine at the top on the R/H side behind the barrel. This will tell us if the engine is a standard 250 or the super duper CS/CSR ***** looks like those questions have been answered?? all of us typing at the same time :lol:
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

pecon wrote:Janet, I was wondering which model you have as the brake anchor is identical in style (but not quality) to the one on mine.

Rob, did the photo on the previous page give any indication of what I have?

Peter
Peter it soon became clear to me, your bike had a mixture of different years and models, which pictures, numbers and other comments of oddities now confirm. It would take quite some time to check out all these oddities. So give it time and others will chip in with comments, until you get the complete picture of what your bike consists of.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Hi Ozmadman

"Does the frame number match the V5?"

It does indeed. I know nothing about UK regs but the log book states that the bike was first registered in 1978 with its current number. I did an on line check and found that the original reg is now on a 2008 Land Rover!.

"The stand looks like the later stand which is better as they were more solid and that will fit but you will need some other parts to fit it if there is nothing there."

Some good news at last :) Are the stands interchangeable between years and models?. I'm waiting to pinpoint exactly what I have before ordering a parts book but it is begining to look as though I may need more than one.

"It has the later Teledraulic forks which were originally fitted to the model 8's (350) and the matchless G5 and then the CSR 250's, a 1960 standard model 14 has a different fork"

So a bit like the curates egg?.

"the exhaust front pipe looks wrong as the silencer is far too low and too far out from the rear wheel but the silencer looks ok. There should be no front pipe stay attached to the engine either"

When I removed the horrible bracket on the front pipe it hid a weld where the pipe had been joined, something to add to the list. As for the silencer, I have never seen one constructed like this one.

"Whats the engine number?"

14/CSR/14135
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Sorry, yes the silencer is weird, never spotted the seams. You can get a front pipe and silencer from feked.com. You have the Csr engine which is a bonus, a faster one with an pursued big end unlike the early 250 which were subject to big end failure. You will be ok with the stand. You can get all of the manuals here. http://www.archives.jampot.dk/
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed