I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
pecon

I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Post by pecon »

Took possession just yesterday and a few problems are immediatly noticable. The first is the front brake anchor. As you will see from the photo it had pulled away from the hub, on closer inspection it seemd to have been made from a scrap piece of tin, not a promising start. It starts first kick but there is not a flicker from the ammeter although there is evidence of a complete rewire to negative earth. It's an odd bike with some parts restored such as the paint work and neglect like the anchor. I bought it as something to work on as I get as much pleasure from repairing as riding, sad I know. I have seen an anchor on the spares section but it looks completely different to mine, would any of those suit?.

Peter
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Re: I've just bought a 1960 Model 14

Post by Ozmadman »

Well it hasn't got a 1960 model 14 front brake but looks like the later CS/CSR type which is better anyway. The anchor you have does look a bit of a Heath Robinson affair but I am not sure what the correct one should look like only having a 1960 Model 8 (350) with the original front brake where the stay and actuating lever are on the nearside of the drum. Someone with that type of brake on their bike will no doubt pipe up soon
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Your front wheel is from a CSR, which has the brake stay on the rhs.
Here are a couple of pictures of mine on the bike. Unfortunately they don't show the top end where it attaches to the fork leg. Unfortunatley, to get a good piccy, I'd have to remove the front wheel and, much as I like to help, I'm not willing to do that just now.
Vesta's front brake.JPG
IMG_0480.JPG
Obviously, you'll have to spend a lot of time producing the same patina. :rofl:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Does look very similar to mine actually but either way, like mine, it is made of much thicker metal than your home made one.. check some parts list and see if there are any differences in part numbers
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
shifter

Post by shifter »

This is my daughters 1965 G2 set up
Last edited by shifter on Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:26 am, edited 3 times in total.
?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Almost impossible to see the tiny pictures.
However, surely the bike in question has CSR type forks and wheel. So perhaps we should first establish the correct year/model. The question asked still applies as I am sure the front guard, forks and wheel are not going to be Changed. I will check out my lightweights later today. Although like Janet's bike, mine are also assembled. Maybe a phone can get in , if a camera cannot, to get a picture. If everything is OK except the dodgy brake anchor stay, you should only need to get the correct anchor stay and fittings.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Paul, it does indeed look very similar to yours and the club spares has one that is listed for the 350 lightweight and the CSR. It may fit but on mine the holder for the cable adjuster bends away from the wheel, therefore what I'd describe as a right hand bend when fitted to the bike*. Yours, being on the other side probably has a left hand bend, away from the wheel. I'm pretty sure there would be sufficient space for an inward bend not to foul the spokes but I'm a little concerned about the straight pull of the cable and whether it would chafe. I'd be interested to know if anyone has a brake torque arm 044307 fitted to a CSR and whether they have any problems with it. I have great faith in the spares scheme buyers but even they can get it wrong occasionally.

*Note: After 50 years, just because it's there and like it is, doesn't mean that's how it should be.
Janet

Post by Janet »

Peter, it may be worth you getting your bike dated as the CSR wasn't manufactured until, I think 1962. It's possible that the front wheel has been changed and the rest of the bike is standard for the original M14, or, perhaps you have a CSR with an earlier registration date. A photo would provide us with a good indication. The early lightweights had painted mudguards. The CSRs began with huge chromed mudguards and rear chain guard, whereas the later ones were smaller and, I believe, aluminium.

Most of the parts on the 250 lightweights are interchangeable, but not all, so you do need to know what you have.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Stand.jpg
AJS.jpg
Many thanks to all who replied. I bought this sight unseen and did not have time to do a proper check on the model and to be honest the seller knew less as he had bought it in a job lot from the UK. The V5C states that it was first registered in 1978. However I did an online check mainly to check if the police might have an interest in it and discovered that it had been originally given the registration 463HYA on 17/03/1961 and the plate transferred on 9/02/87 and a new plate CYC594A issued. I just know that the "first registered" date of 1978 is going to cause confusion when I try to reregister it on Irish plates.

The V5C gives the frame number as 7925 which is spot on and the engine number as 14135 but when I checked the latter I found that the full engine number is 14/CSR/14135.

Please pardon my ignorance regarding the different models but is there a difference between the Model 14 and the CSR? Any information will be a great help as I will need to know exactly what I have when the time comes to order parts.

I have attached a photo and if anyone can identify the model that would be a great help. The silencer for a start is unlike anything I have seen before with a rim around the edge as though two sides were pressed together and crimped. I was given a stand with the bike but am not sure if it is from my model (photo attached) or what other parts I will need beside the obvious spring.
pecon

Post by pecon »

Janet, the anchor on mine looked like a very poor copy of the one on yours. Which model is that?.

Peter