Gearbox assembly

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
TonyC

Gearbox assembly

Post by TonyC »

Hi all,
I am trying to re assemble the gearbox on my 250 model 14 as the pawl spring had snapped, but I can't remember which way around the shaped washer fits ( should have took a photo!). I first tried with the washer over the spring and assembled it but I had difficulty getting the gears. Took it apart and the washer is now distorted.
Help is much appreciated
Cheers Tony
G15 Roy

Re: Gearbox assembly

Post by G15 Roy »

Best advice would be to join the Club and there will many that can help.
Roy
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Hi Tony,

Have you got a workshop manual? You can find it here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... CHABLE.pdf

Is this the washer you are referring to?
IMG_1099.jpg
Hope you get it sorted - there are several folk on this list that will be able to help...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Thanks for the reply
Yes I have a manual and in figure 47 it shows the outside cover with the smaller hairspring and the thin washer but I can't tell from the image which way up or round it goes. The washer has a wider raised section with a slope on one end and a narrower upstanding with square edges on the other side.
Cheers Tony
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

TonyC wrote:Hi all,
I am trying to re assemble the gearbox on my 250 model 14 as the pawl spring had snapped, but I can't remember which way around the shaped washer fits ( should have took a photo!). I first tried with the washer over the spring and assembled it but I had difficulty getting the gears. Took it apart and the washer is now distorted.
Help is much appreciated
Cheers Tony
Will this help? actually not sure which way is correct but this is how mine has been (how I fitted it) the last few years with no issues
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
TonyC

Post by TonyC »

Thank you,

That is a great help

Cheers Tony

I used to be in the club about 20 years ago and it was a great help to restoring our Model 14, we also had our bike published in the classic bike magazine May 1995.
Looking a little bit tired now but still being used
Janet

Post by Janet »

clanger9 wrote:Hi Tony,

Have you got a workshop manual? You can find it here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Workshop ... CHABLE.pdf

Is this the washer you are referring to?
IMG_1099.jpg
Hope you get it sorted - there are several folk on this list that will be able to help...
It's part 041640, "washer, footchange pawl carrier return spring". That's the one that has a tendency to ping off at the slightest movement when you're trying to push the gearbox end back into place.
Janet

Post by Janet »

As Roy said, you may wish to consider joining the Owners Club as there is a wealth of knowledge about AMC bikes, even the less popular lightweights. There is a very active Bristol Section that meets on the first Tuesday of the month at The Fox, Easter Compton. I don't know how far that is from you but I suggest you pop along there and have a chat to the members to see what the club ( that's all the members ) offers and, of course, what you can bring to the club.

If you look on the homepage http://www.jampot.com and click on 'club', then on the drop-down menu 'sections' you'll find the Bristol section and details of their contact. Give him a call first to make sure they'll be there and to look out for you. If your bike is poorly, you can go by any method of transport you have available. Also from the homepage you will find headings for other information. Much of it is

If you do decide to join up, you've picked the right time because this year's Jampot Rally on August Bank holiday is at Stow on the Wold, relatively close to Bristol. There's also the main advantage of club membership, that is, sometime you may get to meet me. :rofl:

Enjoy your bike.
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

I can confirm that the Bristol section is very good, and has been extremely helpful in helping a rank amateur like me get my lightweight G2 back on the road!

There is at least one other lightweight in the section that attends regularly, as does John Allen of 'The Lightweight Engine - a Technical Analysis' fame...

Lots of upcoming runs, both long and short, the soonest being this Thursday. The next club night, 8pm at The Fox in Easter Compton, will be Tuesday 6th June.

If you were to message me an email address I can forward the section calendar to you.

Ben
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Oh, sorry Tony I misunderstood your question. You wanted a picture of the smaller spring? It's supposed to look like this:
Untitled.jpeg
Paul: I think you might have got your washer 180 degrees out, but I don't think it matters too much.

There's a useful Lightweight gearbox rebuild guide here:
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... ebuild.pdf

PS: Janet is right, this is the part that tends to fall out when you are trying to put the gearbox cover on... ;)
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS