HELP head light wires 1964 250 CSR Matchless

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Foxxyl242000

Re: HELP head light wires 1964 250 CSR Matchless

Post by Foxxyl242000 »

Oooh I thought I was a club member. I registered filled out everything. I had to do all that to even type messages on here asking for help. I have about 19 bikes but this little Matchless has been my nemesis it seems..The bike I want up and running of course. That's how it goes. Something that is probably so simple. I messed up by not taking a pic before I unhooked head light from the loom. Everyone who has replied is sooooo nice. I live in a tiny town in Pennsylvania. All they want and know are Harleys.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

A power wire will go from switch to the dip switch the two red wires bulb to dip switch. I'll try and take pics of my assembled bike. In the morning. It does look like your bike has had some new wiring.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Foxxyl242000 wrote:Thank you for the pic! But I have 2 wires that come off the little light. And 3 coming off big bulb.
clive wrote:..... The three wires you have coming off the headlight bulb holder will be earth, dip, and high beam. the pilot light will be pilot and earth. .
Not being picky Foxxy (we are all soooo nice on here ;) ) but in what way doesn't that tell you what you want to know? :?
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Foxxyl242000

Post by Foxxyl242000 »

There is my pic of my wires.. Would one of you guys or gals look at that for me?
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

You do need to study the diagram. For the little light one wire will come from the SWITCH to the bulb. The other is earth, perhaps earthed to the headlamp shell. Two wires from the main bulb will be for high & low beam. These will go to the dipswitch. A power wire will come from the switch to dip switch. I believe the diagram I posted show combined horn/dip switch, so you should see a 4th wire running to the horn. I thought. Please study the diagram. Follow where wires go. The diagram is really the complete picture, once you see through it, all will be revealed.. Early wiring had a lot of black wires. You needed to follow a diagram then. Multi colours made it easier. However, if wiring was renewed in a different colour, you need to identify where each ends connect via the diagram. A photo of just the headlamp will not show where wires go. So you will be none the wiser for a picture.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Inyour pic try, small light, blue to light switch, white to earth. Big bulb. connect one green and white to a red wire, it does not really matter which way round , connect the black to white earth connector.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It looks pretty straightforward to me (in a 'trial and error' sort of way) but since I don't know much about Lightweights I'll only throw my two penn'orth in as a last resort but I doubt it'll be necessary.

Once you have identified which of the loom wires is Ground the rest will fall into place. Obviously the male/female configuration of the bullet connectors give a clue to which previously matched with which.

It is considered advisable (I'd say essential) to have an inline fuse (say 15 amp) in either of the battery leads if you are going to experiment with the wiring connections.
Or you could select one from this range ..........
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Jock mctavish

Post by Jock mctavish »

Surely your three wires on main bulb are , main, dip and earth? And your pilot bulb will be feed and earth? :?:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Jock mctavish wrote:Surely your three wires on main bulb are , main, dip and earth? And your pilot bulb will be feed and earth? :?:
Exactly what I have said also stating wire colours.
clive

Post by clive »

Foxxyl242000 wrote:Oooh I thought I was a club member. I registered filled out everything. I had to do all that to even type messages on here asking for help.....................
You are a guest at present, to become a member you will need to pay a subscription.

"AMOC Guests
Non members of the club - limited posting rights, no Private Messages allowed.
This group is for website guests who are within 3 months of their initial registration. If after 3 months a guest has not joined the club, they are moved to the 'AMOC Blocked Guest' group that can no longer post in the forum This is a closed group, new members can only join upon invitation of a group leader."

I hope the now extensive ideas on how to rewire the headlamp help. Fit the fuse in the circuit next to the battery on the live side of the circuit, before you connect up and if you have made a mistake with the connections you will simply have to fit another fuse. I would avoid any of Spriddler's uprated fuses and stick with 10 amps to begin with and move to 15 if it blows when all the lights are on and you sound the horn.
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix