Head Stem taper roller bearing conversion

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Gary61

Head Stem taper roller bearing conversion

Post by Gary61 »

Finally got around to sorting out the taper roller bearing conversion, and it fits fine.
WP_20160925_13_18_13_Pro.jpg
WP_20160925_14_39_09_Pro.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Andy51

Re: Head Stem taper roller bearing conversion

Post by Andy51 »

Hi Gary, looks a good job. Any chance of writing it up and sending to Tech Ed for publication in the Jampot? Andy
Gary61

Post by Gary61 »

Andy51 wrote:Hi Gary, looks a good job. Any chance of writing it up and sending to Tech Ed for publication in the Jampot? Andy
As soon as I get a chance I put up drawings for the parts, materials used and how I did it, with some (hopefully helpful) tips.

Just incase anyone is wondering, the frame / forks are NOT altered an anyway, so could be returned to original.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Looks like a really neat job but why go to all the trouble?

The ball race has worked fine for me all these years or am I too ignorant of these matters? Willing to learn, though.

Johnny B
Gary61

Post by Gary61 »

56G80S wrote:Looks like a really neat job but why go to all the trouble?

The ball race has worked fine for me all these years or am I too ignorant of these matters? Willing to learn, though.

Johnny B
Ball races are fine, but try buying the bearing cups. When I bought the bike they were missing along with the stem. So I could either spend a long time hunting for them or do the conversion, the conversion seemed the easier/quicker option.
56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Well, you clearly have the competence to make up a really nice job - I han't realised the cups were scarce.

Johnny B