wheels

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
gilburton

wheels

Post by gilburton »

Anyone know of a cheap source of 17" rims or any alternative source eg BSA C15 or anything else that would fit?
I've looked at new rims and respoke but it's a bit out of my price range.
The prices have gone up a bit since I last looked 20 yrs ago :o
dave16mct

Re: wheels

Post by dave16mct »

Try Feked.com :

http://www.feked.com/bsa-c15-17inch-whe ... hrome.html

Probably the cheapest you'll get nowadays.
Dave.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

yeah I saw those but are the holes drilled suitable for the g2?
If you add spokes it's another £75 and if you can't DIY you're looking at £4-£500 for 2 wheels :shock:
That's more than half what the bike cost me ;)
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

Have a chat with John Bolton at Workshop 14 he advertise in the Jampot - he will be able to quote you a sensible price for rebuilds.
Cheap wheel rims are just that - cheap and the chrome will last a few showers of rain only and be a waste of money.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I re-built my wheels using the original hubs with new rims and spokes, took it easy, read up on the web and took loads of photos before starting. Each wheel took less than two hours to build to a tolerance of 0.5mm and I found it quite therapeutic. I would suggest wheel building is well within anyone's capability if taken steadily and methodically.

My wheels cost me around £450 - high quality polished stainless rims and spokes from The Devon Rim Company. I would agree it's false economy to buy the cheapest.

Regards Mick
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Ouch £450 for DIY :o
I'm in no hurry and the wheels I've got work :D
I'll clean them up and repaint them and in the meantime scour the ads/autojumbles to see if anything turns up.
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

Update
I sent a query to feked.com about their C15 rims and he wasn't sure if they would fit but as he said he hadn't done a G2 before he was willing to fit rims at a reasonable price to get the measurements so I'll be sending the wheels off shortly.

Can anyone tell me if the rear hub is alloy or steel??
Rockerbri

Post by Rockerbri »

ive been having the same probs seems like you have to have a hell of a lot of money to buy them im using ones of a 350 matchless there the 18" wheels but it does the job hope you find some.
MATCHLESS G12 CSR...MATCHLESS 250 CSR...AJS MODEL 20 ...BSA A65 LIGHTNING...HARLEY DAVIDSON ROADKING & SPORTSTER...