Kickstart slipping... sprag clutch?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
BultacoBen

Re: Kickstart slipping... sprag clutch?

Post by BultacoBen »

My thoughts on reading the clutch adjustment instructions:

"...adjust the clutch cable so that there's 1/8" free-play, eyy...? Didn't I just take all the slack out of that cable!?"

Apologies for all the excitement folks, but many thanks for your fast responses! Problem now resolved and kickstarter engaging with engine wonderfully. Off to MOT tomorrow!

As an aside, my assumption of a sprag clutch comes from experience with modern motorcycles where many use one to connect starter motor to engine.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

You are correct in that a lot of modern bikes use a sprag clutch to engage the starter. I've just had the "fun" of changing one on an Aprilia Pegaso and my cn250 scooter has one.
It's like a bearing but instead of rollers they are shaped so that they engage one way only purely by friction.

British bikes have a kickstarter pawl which,as said, engages with teeth one way.
It needs the bikes clutch to transmit the movement to the engine ie you are turning the engine through the gearbox/clutch/primary chain to get it started so it stands to reason if the clutch is in poor condition or is slipping the kickstart will slip as well.
Usual bodge was to tighten up the clutch plate springs instead of buying new plates when we were young and had no money/sense :lol:
clive

Post by clive »

gilburton wrote:.....
Usual bodge was to tighten up the clutch plate springs instead of buying new plates when we were young and had no money/sense :lol:
Good to know I am still young
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
Janet

Post by Janet »

gilburton wrote: if the clutch is in poor condition or is slipping the kickstart will slip as well.
How embarrassing, I thought that's what the screws were for. :oops:
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

Further success! Bike rode (mostly) wonderfully down to the MOT station, where it may have failed, but failed in a good way...

That being a leaky fuel tank that only reared it's ugly head the first time I brimmed the tank on my way to the test.

All in all, I'm very happy! :D

Felt amazing to ride the bike through Bristol, and once I had the confidence of an MOT failed only for a leaky tank behind me and a bit more faith in the stopping power of the brakes it proved itself to be a bit of a hooligan bike... Very wide bars and only slightly baffled exhaust contributing here I'm sure.

Leak is mainly down a small trickle from the front fixing bolts, I think they may have been forced too deep at some point so I'll see if some PTFE tape can help resolve that. Also from the cap itself which I hadn't noticed is missing its cork washer. Clutch was slipping very slightly even with the cable adjusted correctly so it looks like I'll be following your advice on washing the clutch plates anyway.

Retest Friday.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Good result! Always feels so much better once you've taken it down the road. Mine popped and farted all the way to the MOT and back, but it felt like a massive step just to get it on the road again....

On the clutch adjustment: the manual isn't super-clear, but you need to adjust both ends.
1. Back off the cable adjuster completely at the handlebar.
2. At the clutch end, remove the clutch cover screw on the primary drive case, release the locknut and gently screw in the adjuster until it just touches. Then back it off slightly and do up the locknut.
3. You can check the free play is correct by removing the gearbox oil filler plate - you can see the clutch operating lever, just check here for 1/8" or so free play.
4. Now do up the cable adjuster at the handlebar end to remove most (but not all) of the free play.

If it still slips, a strip & clean of the clutch plates is next on the list...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS