speedometer gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
vanjim50

speedometer gearbox

Post by vanjim50 »

Hello again.I have just had new tyres fitted to my 250 lightweight.I took the wheels off myself to save a few bob.After refitting the wheels,i noticed the speedo gearbox was flapping about like a carp in a keepnet.My question;Is the offending article threaded,and a simple tightening the answer,or is something a little more serious likely?.As ever,thanks for your time.Jim
Rob Harknett

Re: speedometer gearbox

Post by Rob Harknett »

If you mean it moves round, it should. When you replace the wheel, with everything replaced in the correct order, still loosely fitted. You will loosely fit brake anchor, rear chain, rotate speedo drive so the cable fitting point is pointing in line of the cable running to it. At this stage the axel nut is only about hand tight.. adjust rear chain, tighten brake anchor fitting, fit speedo cable. The drive will still rotate so you can position the cable & drive to give the best line up to exclude sharp curve. Now fully tighten the axel nut. You will find the speedo drive will now no longer rotate. Having satisfied yourself all is now OK, speedo cable run, chain tension, brake anchor, axel nut, all OK. Note the speedo drive nut, last of all make sure this is tight. It is only possible to tighten or undo, this nut when the wheel is fully tightened in the frame. Failure to check this nut is and always is tight, will result in the speedo drive rotating, winding up the cable locking the wheel up. Nasty accident could result. Now go and read your workshop manual to satisfy yourself I have got this all correct. If unable to do this, Its a long time since I have had a wheel out a lightweight. Wait for some one else to agree with me, or point out something I've overlooked.