Barn find

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
kgb1

Barn find

Post by kgb1 »

Hi New member here,
my brother has found this bike in the back of a workshop and we have no idea what it is. It is E reg so I guess 1965 or 66. Can anyone identify the model, engine size? what would it be worth in non running state as shown??
Thanks
Janet

Re: Barn find

Post by Janet »

It's most likely an AJS M14CSR, ie a 250cc lightweight. E reg would be the early part of 1967, as the reg. dates were changed from August? September? of that year. Before then they ran from Jan 1 to Dec 31.

Value, I've no idea but it looks in better condition than my bike.
GOLDSTAR

Post by GOLDSTAR »

I guess the first question to ask is
do you or your brother own the machine or have title to it?
next
what is your intention with it?
have you run the number through DVLA to see if a, it is on there, b, if so is there any known owner?
as to value, in unknown condition with an unknown provenance and possibly title have a quess!
kind regards
kgb1

Post by kgb1 »

My brother has a chance to buy it but we are more Japanese bike enthusiasts rather than British, but this could be the turning point.
As we know it has all the correct paperwork, but as yet do not know much more about the history of the bike or indeed the reputation/background of this particular model. I was just trying to assess whether it would be a good buy or not and whether it is a run of the mill bike or has a little more interesting persona. Any positive comments would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

I know little about this model which as Janet said is known as a 'Lightweight', as opposed the range known as 'Heavyweight'. The Lightweight term is more of a marketing designation as they are not necessarily lighter than the heavyweights but the engine/gearbox are styled differently. The Lightweight range comprised single cylinder engines only and was introduced later than the Heavyweight range. (Are you keeping up?)

There's a bit about 'your' Lightweight model spec'n in the AMC sales brochure which also shows the Heavyweight range from which you will see that, unsurprisingly, the heavyweight *looks* heavier than the lightweight (there'll be questions later ;) )

Brochure:
http://archives.jampot.dk/promotional/S ... ochure.pdf

As far as a value goes (having the docs is a bonus) it would be well to assume that it needs much work and therefore I wouldn't want to pay more than, say, £650 for it as you could probably get your money back selling it for spares :shock: , but as I said I have no first hand knowledge of Lightweights.
Value depends upon how much anyone wants the bike.

EDIT
Janet has a much-travelled Lightweight and her first hand knowledge (unlike mine) is very relevant. IMHO and from my own restoration experience I'd suggest that if you paid £650 for it and carried out even a basic restoration (without including your own 'free' labour in your costs) you'd be lucky to make much profit upon selling it. In theory it would seem that one can get a bike presentable and running reliably without too much expense.........but once the work has begun one thing leads to another and it rarely ends up 'basic' or inexpensive :( (I only point this out as to date your bikes have been the faultless, maintenance-free and oil-tight Japanese variety ;) ).
As you have mentioned, your first old Brit bike certainly could well be a turning point :headbang:
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Wed Aug 03, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 8 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Janet

Post by Janet »

It's an ordinary bike that has a bad reputation for reliability because it was the type of bike that was thrashed to death by the yoof of the day who could ride them on L-plates. Spare parts are less than plentiful. If by 'a good buy' you mean will you make money from it, you're likely to be disappointed unless you steal it from the current owner. If you're looking for a Brit bike to spend time restoring, it will give you many hours/days/weeks/months away from Eastenders and the local pub.

I have the Matchless version and I love it to bits. If only I could get it to go properly. :(
Rockerbri

Post by Rockerbri »

spairparts are real hard to get good luck
MATCHLESS G12 CSR...MATCHLESS 250 CSR...AJS MODEL 20 ...BSA A65 LIGHTNING...HARLEY DAVIDSON ROADKING & SPORTSTER...
shifter

Post by shifter »

My Daughter has the Matchless g2 the same as the model A.J.S.14 and she loves it
?
Rockerbri

Post by Rockerbri »

P1010598 (2).jpg
this is where im at on my build was just a rusty old frame an engine when i got it should be all done in a month...yes i know the wheel on the front is the wrong one and the wrong way round just so i can move it...lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MATCHLESS G12 CSR...MATCHLESS 250 CSR...AJS MODEL 20 ...BSA A65 LIGHTNING...HARLEY DAVIDSON ROADKING & SPORTSTER...
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Looking tidy! Are those handlebars standard? They give it quite a sporty look...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS