CSR Front wheel spindle - hub spacers

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
BultacoBen

CSR Front wheel spindle - hub spacers

Post by BultacoBen »

Have just put front wheel back onto my G2 CSR with newly rebuilt 1 1/8 forks and remedied anchor bolt on the 'sporty' front brake, and was racking my memory for how the spacers went on... Should have taken more photographs... Firstly, which way round should the clamps that hold the spindle be? What does the black line on one side seen below signify?
brake2 copy.jpg

Believe I have them the correct way but there's an alarming gap between one and the right hand fork slider.

Left side looks fine:
brake3 copy.jpg
But here's the gap on the right. Both between the spacer and the slider (which I feel is wrong) and the slider and the tightening 'sleeve' (which I think might be OK).Also can't quite figure out how far too tighten the spindle, and whether to tighten spindle or the clamp nuts first. Can't find the details in any of the manuals.
brake1 copy.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
Janet

Re: CSR Front wheel spindle - hub spacers

Post by Janet »

I have my spindle fitted in the opposite way to yours. I'm not saying that's how yours should be as your fork legs are not the same as mine. I don't have a front front mudguard stay because my forks don't have a place to bolt one onto.
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

bbenxe wrote: Firstly, which way round should the clamps that hold the spindle be? What does the black line on one side seen below signify?
The black line is the cast-in steel insert, the opposite side will have a slight recess (spotface) for the spacer. You have it the right way round.

Rob C
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

First of all, I do believe you have a 1967 G2 CSR ( Competition Sports Racer ) On your profile you refer to it as a G2 CSR scrambler. Note the G2 CS ( Competition Sports ) was a scrambler, which was discontinued in 1963. So delete Scrambler, just in case you ask for a part for a 1967 G2 Scrambler ?????? may result.
I will attach some pictures on my 1966 G2CSR from which you may be able to answer your questions from. Oh by the way, I am sure the teledraulic transfer goes on the painted fork shroud. You wont be able to polish the alloy fork leg shinny with solvo autosol without damaging the transfer.
Came back out the shed after looking at one of my bikes and taking pictures. Looks like you got your answer while I was in the shed. I'll edit and attach the pics anyway, so you can see.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

4.JPG
Janet

Post by Janet »

It would appear that there's only mine and CBW 74D (as shown in Ken Jones' photos ) with the spindle the other way round. :(
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

Rob Harknett wrote:First of all, I do believe you have a 1967 G2 CSR ( Competition Sports Racer ) On your profile you refer to it as a G2 CSR scrambler. Note the G2 CS ( Competition Sports ) was a scrambler, which was discontinued in 1963. So delete Scrambler, just in case you ask for a part for a 1967 G2 Scrambler ?????? may result.
You are absolutely right, it's a G2 CSR, but a PO had begun modifying it to look like a CS. I am tidying up their bodge job and continuing with it as a scrambler and moving it even further in a CS direction as I think it's a marvellous looking machine! I'll call it a 'scrambler' G2 CSR from now on...
Rob Harknett wrote:I will attach some pictures on my 1966 G2CSR from which you may be able to answer your questions from. Oh by the way, I am sure the teledraulic transfer goes on the painted fork shroud. You wont be able to polish the alloy fork leg shinny with solvo autosol without damaging the transfer.
No fork shroud to stick it on as I've got rubber gaiters covering it and half the chrome tube cover. Not too interested in polishing the sliders. More of a wipe-down-with-an-oily-rag-man.

Here's a photo of the bike before I rebuilt the forks, painted the stays and bridge and fitted some proper competition bars.
scrambler.jpg
Rob Harknett wrote:Came back out the shed after looking at one of my bikes and taking pictures. Looks like you got your answer while I was in the shed. I'll edit and attach the pics anyway, so you can see.
Brilliant! That's answered my question perfectly.

Thanks, Rob C, Rob H and Janet for your incredibly rapid responses.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I never noticed at first, but have now. My 66 G2CSR only has one mudguard stay. So I've looked at my 63 14CSR, that only has the rear stay.
Quite a lot of wrong bits on your bike. However, a bike has been made to ride and enjoy. You don't loose any sleep about it having wrong or rusty nut. I had a mate who's bikes were clean and perfect, his car a dented dirty wreck. He remarked when I had brought yet another new car, I would never buy a new car. All I need is a good runner with no worries of it parked out on the street. If I go to it next morning, I would be none the wiser if it had got another dent.