Brake "anchor" bolts

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Andy51

Re: Brake "anchor" bolts

Post by Andy51 »

Ben, make sure that there is sufficient metal in the steel insert in the brake plate as you are in effect drilling and tapping for a larger bolt. The insert in the heavyweight brake plates has thick walls but I don't know anything about the lightweights. Andy
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Duncan wrote:Its on the next page Rob:
1959 Parts list page 47.PNG
missed that continuation page Duncan, I never took a real good look. It does seem over the years things changed. A mixture of studs and bolts. I also try to use my fading memory, but that only relates to bikes I own. Keep watching my back. thanks.
BultacoBen

Post by BultacoBen »

Am investigating helicoiling with a couple of local workshops, particularly whether they think there's enough of the steel insert left to be feasible.

If it turns out I require a new brake plate, can anyone help with the correct parts number?

In manuals and spares list the only diagram and part number is that below, 043270,which is clearly different to my brake plate pictured at the start of this thread.

Did the brake change for later years? Mine was first registered in 1967. The brake changing for later models is ringing some bells in my head for something I've read before somewhere but I can't quite summon it forth...
brake plate.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://www.ben-eddings.com
1966 Matchless G2 CSR scrambler
1986 Suzuki DR600 long-range explorer
1971 BSA B50T street tracker
Janet

Post by Janet »

The CSR wheel is a bit different from the earlier versions. The brake plate for the CSR has what looks like air scoops on them. If you cut the grooves out you really have air scoops. The brake plate is on the rhs whereas I believe it was on the lhs on earlier models..
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

CSR forks, brake plate & torque arm, differ on 250's
Janet

Post by Janet »

By sheer good luck, when looking for a picture to post on the heavyweight/lightweight thread, I found this photo showing the front wheel of the 250 CSR. Muck and crud is optional.

56G80S

Post by 56G80S »

Hadn't meant to start a row about studs. I was really trying to make sure that things were safe. If the PO has bodged the anchor bolt of all things there's always a chance that there's something else and I really would look at the studs and surrounding area in case there's any cracking or mistreatment gone on there.

Scary photo, Janet.

Johnny B
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

This is a later model with the brake on the right. Not sure when they changed from left to right. Nothing new though, back in 1936/37 the front brake changed sides. Those days it affected more big parts like forks and wheel plus smaller fittings.
Janet

Post by Janet »

56G80S wrote:Scary photo, Janet.

Johnny B
That's my pride and joy there. Why is it scary?
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

The correct bolt is 3/8 x 26 tpi cycle thread.

I can helicoil it for you if can face the hassle of posting it to me. I recently ran out of 3/8 ( and 5/16 ) BCY inserts but have more on order (they are tough to find as most people I suspect use a more common thread form insert such as UNF.)

Bruce