Service for a 1964 250 14CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Mark Reddish

Service for a 1964 250 14CSR

Post by Mark Reddish »

I own the above bike and am totally useless mechanically - does anyone know of someone who can give it a service - it was running perfectly when last kicked over nearly 2 years ago . I am based in Castle Donington near Derby
Many thanks !
Rob Harknett

Re: Service for a 1964 250 14CSR

Post by Rob Harknett »

May be a good idea to join the club, get to know members in your area, visit the local section etc. I'ts within the club you will find all the help you will need.
Expat

Post by Expat »

Agree with Rob. Lots of help for beginners like me to find out what's what with our bikes.
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
clive

Post by clive »

Mark Reddish wrote:I own the above bike and am totally useless mechanically - does anyone know of someone who can give it a service - it was running perfectly when last kicked over nearly 2 years ago . I am based in Castle Donington near Derby
Many thanks !
Cannot help with the service agent I am afraid but the truth of the matter is that if you are going to use your old bike you will have to develop a bit of mechanical knowledge or rides on it could be frustrating. These old bikes are not like modern ones and often need a little "advice" while you are out and about on them. 260 miles Monday/Tuesday on my G11 CS and the clutch started slipping, easy fix but if I had carried on it would have got worse and probably resulted in a trailer home.
If iyour bike worked 2 years ago check the oil level and try starting it, if it goes check that the brakes and lights are working and get an MOT if it is post 1960. IF it does not work come back to the forum and describe the symptoms. I hope the battery has been regularly charged during those 2 years, if not it will be knackered so get a new one. Most classic insurance policies have recovery as part of their cover so once you are running and legal just make sure you take the mobile phone with you and enjoy the bike. Good luck
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix