Scrambler clutch basket?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
ajscomboman

Re: Scrambler clutch basket?

Post by ajscomboman »

The first thick plate has a chamfered back edge does it not and slips onto the centre? If so this is for a standard 250 and it's nearly 1/4" thick it'll also rub against the base of the clutch basket as it's a driven plate. You could swap that out and replace it with the shouldered 350 plate that the parts service stock which has external tangs and rotates with the basket and not the centre. Being thinner it'll give you a little more room for the remaining plates.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

The thick plate is 1/4" thick (as you say), but the back surface is completely flat, not chamfered (?) It has inward tangs and seems to match the description of the 250 scrambler clutch in the manual: "1. Thick back plate"

It is a bit of an odd design because this metal plate will spin against the metal surface of the basket when the clutch is disengaged. It would make more sense if the first plate had outward tangs (like a 350), but there you go.

Here's the clutch pack that I have (old photo, the plates look a bit grotty here) and it seems to match the 250 scrambler one. The thick plate is at the bottom of the picture:

I can't see any particular reason why the thick plate must be on the inside (as both first and last plates have flat surfaces so the clutch pack is effectively symmetrical). I've just reversed the whole pack for now, with the thick plate outermost (as per the previous photo). At least that way the plates all fit in the basket properly, so it ought to be fine.

We shall see...
Last edited by clanger9 on Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I bet there are witness marks on the basket, been there and done that. As it's all apart you'd be better going for the 350 thick plate.
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yep, there are marks there... ;)

I've put it back together for now with the clutch pack reversed. I hate leaving the bike in a non-running state - especially in Summer. You just never know when the weather's going to be decent. Not that it makes any difference; I dashed out for a ride at the weekend "between the showers", only to be confronted with torrential rain and flooded roads. I hadn't planned on getting it wet! :o Despite a sticking throttle and a cranky clutch, it still got me home.

Question: if the first 350 plate has outer tangs, does that not mean the whole clutch pack is different? It'll need to go out-in-out-in...etc, won't it? I'd rather be certain before I buy all the wrong bits...
1993 Ducati 750SS
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Clanger PM me with your phone number and we can talk through your clutch issues.

Cheers

Steve
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=14256

You might want to look at this post from the G5 section

Thanks
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Brilliant, thanks Steve! That G5 thread explains it all...

It looks like I have a scrambler clutch pack in a standard 250 basket. That's why it doesn't fit.
I can't just use a 350 1st plate, as the 350 clutch goes out-in-out-in-out-in-out-in-out. i.e there are 5 plates with outer tangs and 4 plates with inner tangs.
Mine has 4 plates with outer tangs and 5 plates with inner tangs.

Simple, innit? ;)
1993 Ducati 750SS
Janet

Post by Janet »

To help me and others in the future, would people who know exactly what they've got and have it accessible, please measure the depth of the outer basket and centre and say what model it's from.

Some of my difficulties stem from working on a bike that is over 50 years and which is one of several variants of the model during their time of manufacture. Despite what some very knowledgeable people may lead me to believe because they already know what they're looking at, finding what changes were made isn't always easy, especially to someone who doesn't know much about the basics. It can take a trawl through several documents to find the whole story but is it ever safe to assume that in the absence of anything else, the previous part is correct? What if you miss one?

I'm getting very close to knowing what my CSR clutch should have but the thick back plate that came in it is a pure circle with a hole in the middle. I don't know whether "for one month only" there was a special offer or whether a previous owner had a problem and fitted this instead.

]Image

I do have a spare that is a thick single sided friction plate. Confused? Well, I am.

BTW, now that I've derailed clanger's thread, does anyone know what the screws are that hold the clutch centre cover plate andwhere I can get some. Mine are somewhat grotty and I'd like to fit some lovely new ones. They are supposed to be countersunk. The ones I have are sunk into the cover but they're not the chamfered shape I normally expect on countersunk screws. Is this correct of are they replacements?
Janet

Post by Janet »

clanger9 wrote:I need to study the design of the clutch a bit more. Does anyone know for certain what the clutch pack is supposed to look like?
Would you like to be really confused? Take a look here.http://archives.jampot.dk/book/Spares_l ... p_list.pdf I can't find any mention of a backplate of any description.
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi Janet i have measured my G5 clutch basket case (P/n for case only is 043198) which also fits the scrambler. the depth is 30mm. The clutch centre (P/n 043172 G5 & scrambler) from where it fits against the basket is 40mm.

The bottom thick steel plate is different to your and has the tags on the out side p/n 043341 and is described as plate-back- clutch.

I cant give a view on a later G2 CSR as i have not as yet seen one - however one of our local Poachers has just brought a 1966/7 CSR.

Since Rodger's just borrowed my spare auto advance unit i guess i'll see it pretty soon.

Cheers
Steve