CS14 competition gearbox

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
borrop01

CS14 competition gearbox

Post by borrop01 »

I've just got the cs14 started after rebuild. I have rebuilt the box number G3717s . when in gear and push along with feet (plug out) the kick starter pedal clicks and tries to move , something not clearing.
Can anyone give me a lead of what to look for before I strip the box. Many thanks. Peter.
SPRIDDLER

Re: CS14 competition gearbox

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Hi Peter. Since none of the usual experts for Lightweight models has surfaced (I know little about Lightweights) maybe the link below to a rebuild article will help, esp. photo 33 and the associated text for photo 33.
It sounds to me that kickstart pawl is not fully disengaged (weak or broken spring perhaps?) when at rest. Perhaps you did not sufficiently preload the spring when you fitted it (that is if the k/s spring in the L/W 'box requires it).
http://archives.jampot.dk/technical/Tra ... ebuild.pdf

:roll: Just added 'spring' to my bit in brackets as I've noticed that I left it out.
Last edited by SPRIDDLER on Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
cbranni

Post by cbranni »

I have been thinking about this one Nev and it did happen to my lightweight many years ago I believe it was related to the return spring or the pawl, better whip the cover off Peter and have a look.

Colin
only dead fish go with the flow
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Yes, if the kickstart spring is broken or not preloaded then the pawl will not totally disengage. You have a large spring on the kickstart shaft and a light one inside the box behind the pawl.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
borrop01

Post by borrop01 »

Many thanks for all your replies. I did fit a new kickstart return spring when I rebuilt the box three years
ago.At the time I did wonder how much preload to put on the return spring, this could be the problem.
I have operated the kickstart by hand( plug out). The pedal returns quite smartly to its upright/start
Position. It has a small arc of free play ,when at rest before engaging positively .I did remember that there was not a thrust washer on the kick start prawl. I did read that there may not be one on some gear boxes. Mine is an early 1959 example.Great to be able to discuss this issue. Peter.