Whee, first decent run out on my CSR

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
clanger9

Whee, first decent run out on my CSR

Post by clanger9 »

Isn't it nice when things work properly?

After a few tentative short runs out to sort out the snags, I thought I'd try a proper run today while the sun was shining. The bike seems to run quite sweetly and it even has a decent amount of power (for a 250...) if you let it rev. Although it's quite torquey at low revs, it seems to come on-cam quite strongly around the 4000 RPM mark. I've not dared let it go too high yet. Anyone know what the safe rev limit is for a late-model CSR? ;)

I'm pleasantly surprised at how good it is to ride. For an old bike, it handles and steers extremely well. I just need to remember about the lack of braking power...

I know I like it when people post pictures of their bikes, so if you like bitsas then here's mine:

Only notable issue is a slight reluctance to return to idle - it seems to hold-up at around 2500 RPM and needs a bit of persuasion to drop to idle. Not sure what the exact cause is, so I will need to investigate further to see if there's a manifold leak or a jet blocked somewhere. Any suggestions for what to look for?

I'm half-tempted to go out for another ride!
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
clive

Re: Whee, first decent run out on my CSR

Post by clive »

worn carb slide
clive
if it ain't broke don't fix
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Yes, I'd have thought that too, but the carb slide is new.

It may be there is too much wear in the carb body, so it'll either need a re-sleeve or a complete new carb...
1993 Ducati 750SS
Expat

Post by Expat »

Nice looking bike though. Yes, it is great when the weather co operates and the bike is running well.
FWIW, I'm thinking of getting an oversize slide to try and settle the idle on mine.

Steve
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Thanks, Steve! An oversize slide might be the way to go as I guess the slide fit is quite critical on an Amal.

Another option is to get it rebuilt: Martin Bratby seems to be highly recommended on these forums and has offered to rebuild it, but he's got a huge backlog of work at the moment. Possibly a job for the winter. Must enjoy the sunshine while it lasts...
1993 Ducati 750SS
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Might be that the body is warped if its been done up too tight. I'd take it off and test it by wiggling the slide up and down. If its sticky try you should be able to see the tight spots getting shiney and you can then work on those areas. If its not tight when off the bike, put its back on and try again, if it is now tight the flange is probably warping. In the past I've just used a thicker gasket and taken care not to overtighten.

Took my standard 14 out yesterday. Not sure how much slower but still good fun :¬) I was glad I'd just improved the brakes as some people-carrier driver, on his phone, seemed to take my turning-right hand signal as an invitation to pull out in front of me grrrrr. They are now passable but I don't think they'll ever be strong enough to lock the wheels - not that I'd want to.
Peter W
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

well turned out, go on ride it :beer:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

It looks real fun!
clanger9 wrote:I'm half-tempted to go out for another ride!
Only half? Can't count the number of times I've tootled down my road home after what was intended to be a 'quick trundle round the lanes' and which ended up lasting a couple of hours, only to ride straight past and keep going.
Can't ride dear old Marigold on the road just yet, but the Mutchless is fun too......
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Crikey Spriddler, what's that based on? It looks the part!

Will definitely get another run in this evening, see if I dare take it beyond 6,000... :shock:
1993 Ducati 750SS
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

clanger9 wrote:Crikey Spriddler, what's that based on? It looks the part!
It's marketed as a 'Herald' Classic 250. I bought it new in March. 3 grand OTR. It's Chinese, from a vast engineering group that manufactures, bikes, scooters, cars, tractors, earthmovers etc. and also marketed more cheaply as a 'Sinnis' Retrostar 250. Th'engine's a copy of the 5 speed Suzuki GN250. It's the closest I can get to a classic looking bike and which has a powerful front brake as I ride with all hand operated riding controls on the left and am not safe on the road on Marigold (G3LS). Long story, documented elsewhere on here.

I particularly liked the classic styling; it's black, with a flat horizontal seat, Burgess type silencer and generally 'dated' frame and accessories. I'd like to change the tyres for K70's or similar as the fat rear reminds me of Kim Kardashion (not my thing) but unfortunately the rims are too wide.

I had some trepidation in view of the negative publicity of Chinese bikes but I researched it thoroughly and spoke with the importers as it was the only suitable new bike on the market. The importers upgrade it with better quality chain, sprockets, suspension, brake pads, battery and tyres than the dubious originals. I've had a couple of minor issues (mainly adjustments) which I've sorted but I've had a series of new (company) mainstream cars with more.

It's quick, light (190kg), handles and stops brilliantly, has good 12v lights, leccy start, indicators...........in fact all the things a wrinkly rocker needs at 71 ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'