Oil Filter

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
alanengineer

Oil Filter

Post by alanengineer »

The oil filter that came with my 1961 G2 engine has two different end caps, but when fitted into the tunnel seems to be 2" too short. What am i missing (dont tell me its a workshop manual). Is it a spring or is their a longer filter.

Thanks for your answer

Alan
Stuoyb

Re: Oil Filter

Post by Stuoyb »

There are two lengths of filter - what is the length of the one you have?
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

the filter i have is 5 1/2" long. The tunnel it fits into is 7" deep. So 1/2" for the cover screw, im left with 1" of slack
Stuoyb

Post by Stuoyb »

You need the long version:-

042061L L/W OIL FILTER (6 1/2 LONG)
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.14_15h21m24s_002_.png
Ashampoo_Snap_2016.04.14_15h18m41s_001_.png
Turn the pages of the book
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

1st reply.... i have the book, i didnt think i had to read it as well.

2nd reply.... I am reading as i go and havnt got that far. As i was pulling the engine apart, i had a bit of a job reaching in and withdrawing the filter. It was on my mind and i thought i would ask the question. I think i have seen a spring that looks like the illustration in a box, is its strength important, i dont want to put just anything in (off a rear brake rod etc)!

Im off to read my book to see if i put a spring in or a longer filter. Parts book shows no spring, illustration shows a spring, my head hurts
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

3rd reply
what book have you got for 'fig 35' Rob.. My book's' dont go that far, but the owners manual shows a spring 'that is no longer used'.

I now want to know how to get the filter out of the tunnel, is their a special technique or do you have to get your hands oily, yuck, and i have only just done my nails!
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I just look at the first one I get hold of. Parts list have supplements only after a certain year, so you need to check the supplement , perhaps, for the year of your bike. Manuals cover a long time period , so you need to check your year. Instruction books can cover 250/350, also are just duplicated for another year, perhaps just updating wiring or something. For your bike ( 1961 ) I think you should start first with the 1960 parts list, then see the 1961 supplement of parts that differ. When you know what parts differ, the Instruction and manual books may make more sense. e.g. artwork for an earlier year than your bike is used. So you cannot always go by old artwork pictures. This is what can catch you out. So it is always advisable to have the books or look a line. Your 61 bike may have an earlier or later engine. Only yourself may be aware of that.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

This is what you should have see pic attached. This is the longer filter with the shorter spring as fitted to my 350. Can't see why you can't use your shorter filter with a longer spring, the filter is rubbish anyway!! and that extra inch can't do too much. I at first thought that the spring acted as some sort of relief valve in case the filter got blocked but on examination the spring is virtually fully compressed when the end cap is fully tightened so that theory is out of the window + I don't think the very basic oil pump would generate enough pressure to move a ballpoint pen spring let alone one as tough as in there.

Get a piece of wire in there to hook out the filter but be aware that the end cap at the inner end of the filter will probably stay down the end of the tunnel. You can leave it there but make sure it is in the tunnel completely flat and not canted to the side as it has a hole in the centre to allow the oil to past through to the filter, if you shine a torch down the tunnel you will be able to see. To get it out you need to just get a long piece of stiff wire and bend the end at 90 degrees (just about a 1/4" will do) and hook it out. make sure it is not canted when you put it back
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed