Oil Drain screws

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Expat

Re: Oil Drain screws

Post by Expat »

Dunno. Probably had spare one laying around :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Keep shiny side up.

These are my principles, if you don’t like them, I have others. (Groucho Marx)
DM2

Post by DM2 »

alanengineer wrote:
Another question. Why would they have brazed a shortened tyre lever to the underside of the engine cradle, cross ways?
Old fella owned it, with failing eyesight so kept riding over things. :lol:
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

IMPORTANT!! if you are fitting the drain plugs with the engine out of the frame make sure you get the right plug in the right hole. Mine are different threads but I think that is not the case with all of them and if you put them in the wrong place then once the engine is in the frame you won't be able to get the front plug out as the hole in the lower frame isn't big enough. The Magnetic (rearmost)one is the sump plug and the other one is the front (oil tank drain) one
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
alanengineer

Post by alanengineer »

thanks Ozmadman
Its good advise. I have read that in the books, but important things like that are best highlighted regularly. Its got to be so frustrating if you get that bit wrong. Im going to put my plugs in after fitting the engine to the frame. The front one looks prone to damage if you are not careful.

Thanks again
gilburton

Post by gilburton »

alanengineer wrote:Origional post amended, thanks everybody for that. Cant have everybody knowing i have a lightweight.

Have found the long oil drain screw. Whoever took the bike to bits, did a good job, everything has been put into plastic bags of small groups of parts/bolts sets.

Having fun so far.

Another question. Why would they have brazed a shortened tyre lever to the underside of the engine cradle, cross ways?
Re the tyre lever. I'm new to the 250's but as I understand it you lift the frame off the engine leaving it supported.
It strikes me that welding on a cross piece of metal would allow a quick engine removal as it would support itself on a flat surface?? Just a thought or maybe it was so unreliable the owner just used to drop the engine out to repair it on a regular basis :lol: ??