G2 PETROL TANK MOUNTING

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
dodger

G2 PETROL TANK MOUNTING

Post by dodger »

I am in the process of trying to get the petrol tank mounting sorted on my 1959 G2 but something is awry.
When I screw up the front 2 petrol tank mounting bolts the rear mounting on the frame and petrol tank do not align.
the rear mounting on the frame does not have the through hole to take the T shaped anchor bolt.
The frame has a boss on the top frame tube in the approximate location of the slot on the underside of the petrol tank but is a good half inch out.
There is no boss on the underside of the frame as I thought there should be.
The boss on the top of the frame is threaded 5/16" BSCY.
Does any one know if the early G2's had a different style petrol tank to the one I have.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dodger

Re: G2 PETROL TANK MOUNTING

Post by dodger »

Continuing along on the same subject of the petrol tank mounts, in the boxes of bits are two different brackets for the petrol tank front mounts.
Does any one know which, if any is the correct one for my 1959 frame.

Laurie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

To answer your questions, the 1959 G2 did have a different petrol tank to the later models. It is a smaller tank and mounts through a projection at the rear of the tank, not underneath. The correct front mounting bracket for this tank is the one on the right in your picture. The later (larger) tank uses the mounting bracket on the left.
ajscomboman

Post by ajscomboman »

I'm guessing that this may be the one and only Lightweight that you ever rebuild Laurie. You seem to be having such fun with this little project! :twisted:
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

1958 G2.JPG
1966 G2CSR.JPG
I just went and looked at my 58 and 66 lightweight's, I forgot to set for macro on the 58 shot, but they both look the same fitting on my bikes. That would be the fitting you show with the larger central hole. Not sure what my 63 14CSR has, buried too deep in the shed. I could not see the rear mountings.
Looking at my pic's I wonder if that hole was intended for the Throttle cable, seen coming out by the tank on my bike.
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Did you intend those photos to go to the Quizmaster, Rob? ;)
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
dodger

Post by dodger »

Spot on Rob this will be my first and last lightweight/basket case, the way some people tell down right lies when they sell these piles of crap astounds me.
Thanks for the info. John it's as I feared and suspected, now a search of the auto jumbles and ebay for the correct tank, expect they are hens teeth.
Thanks for the pictures Rob, pity they are so big as I can't really make head nor tail of what they are trying to show, I could do with a picture of the correct tank so I know what to look for.
Laurie
Janet

Post by Janet »

dodger wrote:Spot on Rob this will be my first and last lightweight/basket case, the way some people tell down right lies when they sell these piles of crap astounds me.
I don't think my lightweight is a pile of crap.
Thanks for the pictures Rob, pity they are so big as I can't really make head nor tail of what they are trying to show,
You could save the image to your pooter and then view it at your preferred size.
John Jarrett

Post by John Jarrett »

From the internet, I have tried to find images to show the difference between the 1959 and post 1960 tanks.
1959 lightweight tank.jpg
1960 G2 tank.jpg
If you need any further detail on the 1959 tank let me know.
John
dodger

Post by dodger »

Thanks Janet I'll try your suggestion reference the pictures. I never implied your bike was a pile of crap, just the pile of bits I was sold as a dismantled bike that was a going concern in the 1970's when it is clearly just a collection of worn out parts from many different bikes, probably left overs from a restoration project.

Thanks John a close up picture of the rear tank fixing would be great.

Laurie