Anyone recognise this sporty looking brake?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
oldandsmelly

Anyone recognise this sporty looking brake?

Post by oldandsmelly »

Hi all,

I was going through some of my boxes of lightweight spares t'other day and i found this unusual (to me) brake plate. It has a lovely cast aluminium plate. My workshop manual relating to late lightweights refers to a different brake for the 'scrambler' and recommends that you don't pierce the front air slots which i guess is a way of saying they were just for show.

Anyhow, I'd like to use this brake on a G2 I'm building if possible.It seems to fit OK but it looks like it needs a spacer between the brake plate and the wheel bearing and nothing i've got seems to fit. I have an early G2 brake plate which has an integral spacer i can use on the build so it's not a disaster if i put the mysterious item back into the shed.

cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stuoyb

Re: Anyone recognise this sporty looking brake?

Post by Stuoyb »

Its a late model lightweight CSR front brake.
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Thanks for that.

Does anyone have knowhow or a diagram of the spindle/spacer arrangement with this brake? I've looked through the archived manuals and spare lists etc at archives.jampot.dk which is usually a great source of info but i can't find anything that looks like this.
dodger

Post by dodger »

That CSR front brake plate was incorporated with the Heavyweight front forks not the earlier Fanny B type forks as fitted to most standard G2's.

Laurie
Janet

Post by Janet »

The CSR brake plate and stay are on the off side whereas, I believe, the earlier models had it on the nearside.