Another Newbie to the G2/14 Forum anyway

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
davegsx

Re: Another Newbie to the G2/14 Forum anyway

Post by davegsx »

These are the mudguards fitted to my 1967 250 CSR.
Image1967 AJS 250 CSR by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/25987766@N08/]
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

Hi according to my books the G2 CSR was introduced in May 1962 and had chrome mud guards. - no further changes to the mud guards were made unil the 1966 model year when alloy guards and a swept back exhaust were introduced. The issues you may find are that the early G2's were fitted with the Francis Barnett light weight fork including the G2'S' sports model that featured extra chrome and lower bars this is not a CSR but has a chrome mud guards. Your bike should have teledraulic forks so if you find a G2 front mud guard you may have to modify the bridge. The other thing to consider is that the G5 and G2 are also different as the G5 has 18'' wheels as apposed to 17'' on the G2 this alters the radius of the mudguards and the look. It looks totally wrong if you fit G5 guards to a G2 and vice versa!!

My suggestions would be to try and find the correct mud guard or find a G2 front mudguard get it repaired and re chromed (potentially expensive).

I have seen chromed front mud guards on e-bay occasionally when i was rebuilding my G5.

Also some late model heavy weights like my 1961 G3 had similar style front mud guards but desined to fit with 19'' wheels so beware when buying on line.

Good luck

Steve
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Hello dave,

Thank you for the photo. Nice looking bike and I would be very happy if I had a set of guards like that though they do appear to be the style that was superceded in 1965. Mine, though not original, do seem to be closer in style to the versions shown in the 66 catalogue.

Peter
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

Hi Steve,

Useful comments which I will bear in mind particularly about wheel diameter and fork type, mine does have the heavyweight fork. You clarified one question in that the late style guards were aluminium - something you cannot tell from the brochure. According to the archive brochure these ali guards were introduced in 1965 - my previous post was wrong, my bike was registered in 1965 not 66 though not sure yet which month. Mine has the rear mudguard support which the ali guards would need, the earlier steel ones were presumably strong enough to not require additional support.

However, mine does not have the front mudguard support (I guess the Triumph guard currently fitted did not need it) but I am pretty sure i have something suitable in the black hole I call the garage. All part of the fun.

Regards

Peter