Another Newbie to the G2/14 Forum anyway

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
starfield181

Another Newbie to the G2/14 Forum anyway

Post by starfield181 »

Always had a hankering for one of the AMC lightweights and I am awaiting delivery of a 1965 14CSR just purchased. Couple of issues I would appreciate help with. Firstly a search of the Jampot Archives reveals very little documentation about these late models. Is there any other source, particularly regarding spares lists as they have some obvious differences to the earlier models in the tinware arena and I believe there are some engine differences as well.

Second point stems from the first, the front mudguard on my new baby is obviously not correct. The '65 catalogue suggest that it would have been fitted with skimpier chrome, alloy or s/s (unlikely?) guards front and rear. I assume genuine ones are rocking horse poo but they don't look particularly special and I wonder if there is an acceptable after market alternative that anyone has used succesfully. Not sure my chaincase is correct either but it isn't so obvious.

Expect there will be plenty of other queries so thanks in anticipation.

Am club member by the way living near bath and have owned a G3 and a G11 in the past, still have a 1937 model 12 - will be intresting to compare the two bikes.

Happy New Year to all.

Peter
Rob Harknett

Re: Another Newbie to the G2/14 Forum anyway

Post by Rob Harknett »

You will find the G2/Mod 14 gutless compared to the lively little 1937 AJS model 12.
SideValve

Post by SideValve »

Not sure about gutless but I reckon the key to getting these to go is remember their target market - 17 year olds.
They nip along nicely when thrashed, just forget ideas of mechanical sympathy and get ready for a rebuild.

On the other hand they'll plonk along round town very nicely for years with nothing more than an occasional oil change - my preferred option :¬)
Peter W
Rob Harknett

Post by Rob Harknett »

I believe road tests for the two show the prewar 250 twin port a faster machine, however you cannot go by a road test of that age, as fuel then was only about 65 octain. I know my prewar 250 will out run my 63 AJS 250 CSR by about 10 MPH..I have had it 30 years, found in a field. Never touched the engine and still have not. Only let me down once, when the gearbox sprocket nut came of, I only had to put the nut back on to continue.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Rob Harknett wrote:I believe road tests for the two show the prewar 250 twin port a faster machine, however you cannot go by a road test of that age, as fuel then was only about 65 octain. I know my prewar 250 will out run my 63 AJS 250 CSR by about 10 MPH..I have had it 30 years, found in a field. Never touched the engine and still have not. Only let me down once, when the gearbox sprocket nut came of, I only had to put the nut back on to continue.
So you are saying that your pre-war 250 will do about 85+ mph then? that seems a bit ambitious for such an old bike. Even my Yam RD 250 which was the learners rocket ship back in the early 70's is only good for 90-95 mph on a good day on the flat with a tail wind
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Janet

Post by Janet »

Speed isn't everything. Some people enjoy the ride and the longer it lasts the better it is.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Janet wrote:Speed isn't everything. Some people enjoy the ride and the longer it lasts the better it is.
Agreed! not sure I would want to attempt such a speed, even if possible, on such an old machine. 65mph is as fast as I have been on my model 8 and that is fast enough even though it has plenty left and I reckon it would do 80 at a push
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
saltbox alf
Deceased

Post by saltbox alf »

However, it sounds like chrome guards are what is on Peters machine, so one wonders if it's a short stroke version with all the associated piston finding problems. there has been a thread or two about these just recently.
Ozman is becoming the accredited expert on light weights ( weather he likes it or not :lol: ) and Rob has a encyclopedic knowledge (if only he would slow down a bit, 1030 mph on a twin port :lol: )

I know BA about lightweights or much else for that matter!!! :rofl:
Allons-y, amis de Matchless et AJS
robcurrie

Post by robcurrie »

Andy Green is coming to South Africa later this year to try go faster than 1000 mph with Bloodhound SSC. A group of us from the Classic Club will be going to Speed Week at Haakskeen Pan to see what we can do.

Rob C
starfield181

Post by starfield181 »

The posts about the relative performance of pre & post war 250s is interesting but a a bit of a digression from my original request. I am not looking for speed if it will do 50-55 comfortably I will be happy. Most of my other bikes are a lot faster than their rider.

Anyway my 1965 G2CSR does not have a chrome front guard at present though I think it should. What is fitted looks very Triumph to me ( rib down the centre) and is probably the wrong diameter. According to the 1965 brochure in the archive the 65 models had different front and rear guards from the 64 and earlier models. Its a poor picture but they look much slimmer and sportier than earlier type and the stays are different. If you look on the Kettering Classics site they have a 1966 G2CSR on offer for £2950 (that's not mine by the way) and it looks very faithful to the 65 brochure in terms of mudguards but cannot tell if they are chrome or s/s. KCB also have another 66 G2CSR on offer for £1850 but that looks like it has an ally front guard without the front stay.

What I was hoping was that someone had found and fitted a suitable front guard from what is still commercially available. Lots of tinware available from India for the earlier HW models but nothing for the lightweights as far as I can see.

Peter