Oil filter cap

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
nvmat1

Oil filter cap

Post by nvmat1 »

Hi. Any thoughts on the best method of releasing the threaded external cap for the oil filter. Mine is jammed solid. Any hand held allen key is not up to the task. Will heating the case release the threads? Thanks
Rob Harknett

Re: Oil filter cap

Post by Rob Harknett »

Does the key still fit OK ? If so give it a wack with a hammer to shock it loose. Or more leverage by putting a peace of pipe or similar to give more leverage.
nvmat1

Post by nvmat1 »

Thanks Rob. The key fits but using leverage just bends the key. The cap is on at set of cases and remains solid. I guess its years of corrosion with a dry thread.
RAY BOWMAN

Post by RAY BOWMAN »

I would suggest the use of heat to expand the casing then a gentle tap on the allen key.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Try tightening it first with a socket type, wrench driven Allen key....Heating the case might help but aluminium is a good conductor and the cap will track the increase in temperature but after heating you might be able chill the cap by squirting a fine jet of cold water on the cap alone to cool it separately, perhaps spray it WD40 to cool and lube simultaneously.....Les
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

I had the same problem and ended up using an "easyout" in what was left of the hexagon and then replaced the cap with a new one (still available). if you have the old type filter where the cap and filter(gauze) are all on piece then you will have to replace 5 parts (end cap, filter, spring, and 2 small caps either end of the filter felt) (all available) which they fitted to the later bike. The 250 and 350 filters are different lengths for some reason? so just get the correct spring for the relevant filter (350 is a longer filter hence a shorter spring)
Paul
1960 Model 8
1974 Yamaha RD250B US Model 6 speed
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Yes as Ozmadman suggests...if the cap is already chewed up I would use "Mole grips" set to a nice tight fit just before they close across the cap and remove with relative ease.

Les
Janet

Post by Janet »

If the cap is dome shaped like mine I doubt if mole grips would just slide off unless it is extremely damaged on the outside.
My suggestion would be to apply heat to the casing, then knock the end of the cap to shock it into breaking any seal made by muck and corrosion in the threads. I've successfully loosened bolts by giving them a tap on the head. Initially, don't be tempted to give the 'lever' of the allen key a big bash to rotate it.

Knowing how big it is, this is one time I won't suggest drilling it out.
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Any update on the oil cap removal??
Paul
1960 Model 8
Ozmadman

Post by Ozmadman »

Ozmadman wrote:Any update on the oil cap removal??
???? :?: :?: :headbang: :headbang:
Paul
1960 Model 8