Alternator wiring

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
welden

Alternator wiring

Post by welden »

Hi
I am a new member
Could anyone tell me how the alternator on an ajs 14s is wired. There is an orange wire which is still attached by a couple of strands but the light green wire and the white wire are both broken off. This bike was bought by me this year and I was told that the owner could not get a spark (I wonder why) There are quite a few other issues which I will need help with so stand by.
Tribontig
Les Howard

Re: Alternator wiring

Post by Les Howard »

Hi there...this might help:
http://www.jampot.com/forum/viewtopic.p ... OR#p130630
You should be able to do the check if you have a multimeter.

Otherwise I would say that the ORANGE is the High O/P...........The LIGHT GREEN is the Low O/P.......... and the WHITE is the Common.

Les
welden

Post by welden »

Hi Les
Thank you for the response what you say will probably make sense to someone who knows about electrical issues but I am afraid it just baffles me. As far as I can see the orange wire is attached to a single wire then there is another single wire which I assume the green or white connects to and a connection which comes from each side of the alternator and joins together This I assume must be the one which the white wire (common) connects to would that be right?
Tribontig
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

It's a three-phase alternator. There is no 'common' - all three wires go to the rectifier which produces direct current to charge the battery.

I'll dig out the Model 14 wiring diagram for you later today...
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS
welden

Post by welden »

HI clanger9

I seem to be at cross purposes with everyone I already know where the three wires go to. The problem is that two of the wires (light green and white) are broken off at the alternator its these wires that i need to know where to solder them on to on the alternator
Tribontig
Rangy65

Post by Rangy65 »

I think i know what you mean, so here's some photos as i cant describe this well but you need to know what wire goes to what set of magnets.
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
IMG_0459.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
welden

Post by welden »

That's exactly what I need Rangy65 I can see clearly now as the song goes Thank you very much only about 40 other problems to solve on this bike and I will be half way there I should have stuck to Triumphs but hey nothing ventured nothing gained
Tribontig
clanger9

Post by clanger9 »

Ah, all clear now. Hadn't realised you were after the internal wiring!
The connections should form a "delta" winding, with each diagonally opposite set of coils wired in series.
Hope that makes sense - the pictures above give you a good idea of the arrangement.
1989 Moto Morini Dart 350
1993 Ducati 750SS