G2 idle Problem

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
Martyn Gowland.

G2 idle Problem

Post by Martyn Gowland. »

I an new to classic bikes and have recently acquired a 1960 G2 which
needed a new throttle and clutch cable to get it going. Bike now starts
quite easily but will not tickover without me holding the throttle open.

I have gone through the manual and my limited mechanical understanding sort of suggests this could be due to the points not being clean, the ignition timing being out or something wrong with the carb. Where should I start, I am concerned I will start with the most complicated or unlikely resolution when there is a much simpler answer. - Where should I start and what order should I check things.

Can anyone suggest a decent book on motorcycle maintenance (a real idiots guide) as the manual I have for the bike assumes a certain level of basic knowledge which as you can tel I dont have. There must have been otherson the forum that have taught themselves up for little or no knowledge - any suggestions would be greatfully received.

Apologies to the more mechanically minded on this forum but I guess I
have to start some where and am absolutely dying to get out on the road with the bike as it sound absolutely great.

Thanks in advance.........

Martyn

paul knapp

G2 idle Problem

Post by paul knapp »

Martyn, if the engine starts easily, you may only have to raise the throttle stop screw on the carby to get it to idle. Have a look at
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/am ... _ht_5.html
there you will see what to look at, before you start fiddling with anything else.
Good luck. Paul

___“As a hobby for the technically minded, motorcycling provides great scope.”

J.B.Nicholson

Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!

alan

G2 idle Problem

Post by alan »

hi martyn,
i also own a 1959 g2 matchless, "pull the lever back to take the choke off" and "push forward for choke on" for cold starting.
i did reply to this on the "yahoo groups" to you as well regarding the idle jet.
if you need any info at all just ask,
regards,
alan

lawrence

G2 idle Problem

Post by lawrence »

Hi Martyn
Go along to a section meeting and introduce yourself. They just LOVE helping a newcomer to the hobby. in a few years you will be one of the experts helping a fesh batch of greenhorns.

Lawrence [}:)]