G2 early fork spares?

Information relating to the Matchless G2 or AJS Model 14 250cc Lightweight
oldandsmelly

G2 early fork spares?

Post by oldandsmelly »

Greetings

I'm trying to bring a 1959 G2 back from the grave ( or more accurately from crates of bits in my shed). The engine is assembled with new piston, rebore etc etc and in the frame and i've lashed out on new wheels and a professionally painted tank. I've probably already spent more than the bike's worth but i've not kept a running total in case my wife susses out how much it is.

Throughout the rebuild I've struggled for some spares which I guess is a common issue with lightweights and I've reached a such problem with completing the fork assembly. I am trying to fit the early 'James' type forks which I know aren't brilliant but I have about 3 sets of these in my shed and nothing of the later teledraulic ones.

The bits I need are numbered 28 to 32 inclusive in the attached parts diagram. Does anyone know where i can get these bits or should i start trawling ebay for a set of later forks?

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rob Harknett

Re: G2 early fork spares?

Post by Rob Harknett »

Only 000021 seems to be available from the club spares. Don't know why? perhaps number off? You need to order 000021L for a lightweight. They are only 1/4" dia steel balls. I usually get a bag or two from a local bicycle shop, to throw in the bearing tin. To replace 1/4" balls you always manage to loose when dismantling parts that take these bearings.
Les Howard

Post by Les Howard »

Might be worth trying spares suppliers for Francis Barnet, James and Norton, as far as I know they used this same light weight fork.... Also phone Russell Motors (London)....Les
SPRIDDLER

Post by SPRIDDLER »

Gaggs claim to stock spares for G2's and James bikes:
http://www.gagg-and-sons.freeserve.co.uk/main.html
'There is a tide in the affairs of men
Which taken at the flood............'
Light Weight

Post by Light Weight »

Hi

I have just started a rebuild of an AJS model 14. I have the same forks.

Sorry I cant help with the supply of the parts you need. The ball bearings in mine were 1/4 diameter they are readily available on the net.

My problem is the fork I have been damaged where the oil seal runs (item 10).

I see in your post you have several sets of these forks.

Would you have a spare set undamaged that you would sell?

many thanks

Dave
oldandsmelly

Post by oldandsmelly »

Hi

I have one set of complete lightweight forks ( missing of course the pesky fork stem ball races) which I'd like to keep in the zillion to one chance that i might one day find the elusive parts that would enable me to use them.

I have another 2 sets in pieces together with some other odd lightweight forky bits. One of the bits is a complete top half of the forks in good condition which maybe is what you need.

You are welcome to this if it would be useful to you. I can't accept any money for them as i was given a pile of lightweight fork parts by another enthusiast. Maybe if you let know your email address i could send a photo or two?

Bruce